Does this graph is correct representing a sound wave?

In summary, the conversation is about an exam where a graph was presented as representing a sound wave. The person is questioning the accuracy of the graph and asking for help in finding the correct equation for the wave. The other person suggests that the graph is not correct and provides a possible equation for the sound wave.
SciencePF
I had today an exam.

I that exam this graph they said represent a sound wave. Is this graph correct representing a sound wave in a medium? My interrogation is about y/m as a function of x/m!
graph.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
No help! Is this a nonsense question?

well, i guess no, it's not right, as sound waves are compressive waves, not like electromagnetic that look like that(or more or less like that).

It looks like a sine wave to me. So y/m=Asin(kx/m). Find A and k to reproduce the peaks and zeros of the wave.

1. How can I tell if a graph accurately represents a sound wave?

There are a few key factors to look for when determining if a graph is an accurate representation of a sound wave. First, check that the graph is plotted on a time (x-axis) versus amplitude (y-axis) scale. Next, make sure the graph shows the variation in amplitude over time, with the peaks and valleys of the sound wave clearly visible. Finally, compare the graph to the original sound file to ensure that they match up in terms of shape and frequency.

2. What are the different types of graphs used to represent sound waves?

The most common types of graphs used to represent sound waves are line graphs, bar graphs, and waveforms. Line graphs are typically used to show the amplitude of a sound wave over time, while bar graphs are useful for comparing the amplitudes of different sound waves at a specific point in time. Waveforms, on the other hand, provide a visual representation of the actual shape of the sound wave.

3. How do I know if the scale of the graph is appropriate for the sound wave?

The scale of the graph should be determined based on the range of amplitudes present in the sound wave. It's important to choose a scale that allows for the full range of amplitudes to be clearly displayed, without compressing or stretching the graph too much. If the scale is too small, the details of the sound wave may be lost, and if it is too large, the graph may become difficult to read.

4. Can a graph accurately represent a sound wave if it is not plotted on a time scale?

No, a graph that is not plotted on a time scale cannot accurately represent a sound wave. This is because a sound wave is a time-based phenomenon, meaning that the amplitude of the wave changes over time. Without a time scale, it is impossible to accurately depict the variations in amplitude that occur in a sound wave.

5. Are there any limitations to representing sound waves with graphs?

While graphs can provide a visual representation of a sound wave, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that graphs can only show the amplitude of the sound wave, not the actual sound itself. Additionally, graphs cannot accurately represent complex sounds that contain multiple frequencies and variations in amplitude. In these cases, a spectrogram or other visual tool may be more useful for representing the sound wave.