Help with a question about collinear points

• Thread starter mathstudent88
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the number of lines that contain two of the five points (P1, P2, P3, P4, P5) is 10. This can be solved using combinations, with the formula C5,2 = 5!/2!(5-2)! = 10.
mathstudent88
Let P1, P2, ..., P5 be five points, no three of which are collinear. How many lines contain two of these five points?

How I thought about solving this was by way of combinations.

C5,2= (5*4*3*2)/2 = 60.

So there would be 60 lines that contain 2 of the 5 points. Is this a good way to approach this problem or is there a better way?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi mathstudent88! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(hmm … 60 is a very large number … :rolleyes:)
mathstudent88 said:
Let P1, P2, ..., P5 be five points, no three of which are collinear. How many lines contain two of these five points?

How I thought about solving this was by way of combinations.

C5,2= (5*4*3*2)/2 = 60.

So there would be 60 lines that contain 2 of the 5 points. Is this a good way to approach this problem or is there a better way?

No … combinations is exactly the right way! :smile:

but … C5,2 = 5!/2!(5-2)! = … ? :wink:

haha I forgot all about the (5-2)! part... thank you for pointing it out for me!

the answer is 10.

Thanks again!

1. What are collinear points?

Collinear points are points that lie on the same straight line. This means that if you were to draw a line connecting any two of the points, it would pass through all the other points as well.

2. How do you determine if three points are collinear?

To determine if three points are collinear, you can use the slope formula. If the slope between any two points is the same as the slope between the other two points, then they are collinear. You can also visually check by drawing a line through the points and see if they all lie on the same line.

3. Can more than three points be collinear?

Yes, more than three points can be collinear. As long as all the points lie on the same straight line, they are considered collinear.

4. What is the significance of collinear points in mathematics?

Collinear points are important in geometry and coordinate geometry. They help us understand the relationship between points and lines, and can be used to solve various mathematical problems.

5. How can I use collinear points in real life?

Collinear points can be used in real life to determine the shortest distance between two locations or to find the best route for travel. They can also be used in engineering and construction to ensure that structures are built in a straight line.