Whether and how LHC will help us get past the SM

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lhc
In summary: Wilczek :approve: :-), but I would like to add some words.In summary, the conversation discusses the potential theoretical developments and consequences that could arise from the successful operation of the Large Hadron Collider. The press release from CERN and a news article from The Washington Post are referenced, and theorists John Ellis and Robert Cousins share their thoughts on the matter. MIT physicist Frank Wilczek's book "The Lightness of Being" is recommended as a resource for understanding the possibilities opened up by the LHC. Some readers have found Wilczek's work to be interesting and informative, while others may have differing opinions.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What are your views on this?
Assuming things continue to go all right what possible theoretical developments do you see as potential consequences?
Just for context, here is a CERN press release
A press release from CERN
http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR08.08E.html

The Washington Post had this breaking news article a couple of hours ago:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/10/AR2008091001466.html

They gave theorist John Ellis the next-to-last word (page 4 of a four-page article). Robert Cousins, an experimentalist, got the punchline.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/10/AR2008091001466_4.html
==quote==
Ellis, who has long white hair, a Gandalf vibe and a specialty in supersymmetry, lectures worldwide in four or five languages, including math. He expects the supercollider to detect the Higgs particle, but he hopes to see much, much more.

"Simply seeing the boring old Higgs? Or nothing at all?" He shuddered at the thought. "But then again, not seeing anything at all might be very interesting." Still, he bets they will uncover the nature of dark matter, and he has a lot riding on the wager.

For two decades, Ellis said, the Large Hadron Collider has been all about the builders. "For the engineers, the job is over," he said. "For the experimentalists, they're happy to find what they find.

"But for the theorists, for me, it is a bit different, because we have spent 40 years on a theory." He raised an eyebrow.

"There have been thousands of theoretical papers," he continued, "and I've written hundreds of them myself. What if it all turns out to be pile of garbage?"

The Large Hadron Collider will not operate at full intensity for a year, and so many variables could hold up its work. But the physicists at CERN have reached a milestone. Now that the machine has been turned on, Cousins said, "the trick for us is to be as full of wonder as we can be -- and simultaneously as skeptical as you can get."

==endquote==

My take on it is the best way to understand the possibilities opened up by LHC and get an overview of future theory developments that will follow is to read this new book by MIT theoretical physicist Frank Wilczek
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465003214/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It is called The Lightness of Being

A lot of Wilczek's essays and even some video lectures are free online at his website too.
http://www.frankwilczek.com/
and at his MIT faculty page
http://web.mit.edu/physics/facultyandstaff/faculty/frank_wilczek.html

Wilczek foresees a new golden age of physics ushered in by LHC results (when they finally get some :smile:). That's pretty strong language. But he's clear about why. He has clear explanations and a clear vision of what he thinks is the most likely future.

What about others? Any comment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
marcus said:
What about others? Any comment?
Being very busy, I have not had time to finish the reading of Wilczek's paper. But from the begining, it is very pleasant and quite interesting. Thank you for this reference. :smile:

It will be hard for me to disagree with Ellis :approve:

There are certainly differing views on whether and how the LHC will help us get past the Standard Model. Some believe that the discovery of the Higgs particle and other particles predicted by the Standard Model will be enough to confirm its validity, while others believe that the LHC will open up new doors and reveal new particles and phenomena that will require a new model to explain.

Personally, I believe that the LHC will definitely help us get past the Standard Model. However, I don't think it will be a sudden and complete replacement of the Standard Model. I think it will be a gradual process, where the LHC will provide evidence for new particles and phenomena that will require modifications and extensions to the Standard Model. This will lead to a new, more comprehensive model that can explain all the data and observations we have so far.

In terms of theoretical developments, I think the consequences of the LHC will be far-reaching. It will not only provide evidence for new particles, but it will also help us understand the fundamental forces of nature better. It may also provide insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which are still mysteries in physics. I think the LHC will also push the boundaries of our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new theories such as supersymmetry and string theory.

Overall, I am very excited about the potential of the LHC and I believe it will bring about a new era of physics. However, as with any scientific endeavor, we must approach the data and results with skepticism and continue to question and test our theories. This is the beauty of science, it is an ongoing process of discovery and refinement. I look forward to seeing what the LHC will reveal and how it will shape our understanding of the universe.

What is the Standard Model (SM) and why do we need to go beyond it?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. While it has been incredibly successful in predicting and explaining many phenomena, it has some limitations, such as not being able to account for dark matter or explain why there is more matter than antimatter in the universe. Therefore, scientists are eager to find new physics beyond the Standard Model.

How does the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) play a role in exploring physics beyond the SM?

The LHC is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, allowing scientists to recreate the conditions of the early universe. By colliding particles at high energies, the LHC can produce new particles and interactions that are beyond the reach of previous experiments. This can help us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and potentially discover new particles that could extend the Standard Model.

What are the current results from the LHC and how do they relate to the SM?

Since its start in 2008, the LHC has made several groundbreaking discoveries, including the long-sought Higgs boson in 2012. These results have confirmed the predictions of the Standard Model and have provided valuable information about the properties of the Higgs boson. However, there are still unanswered questions that the LHC is actively trying to address, such as the existence of supersymmetry and the nature of dark matter.

Will the LHC definitively prove or disprove the SM?

It is unlikely that the LHC will definitively prove or disprove the Standard Model. While it has already provided strong evidence for the validity of the SM, it is also expected to uncover new physics that would require an extension of the current model. The LHC is just one piece of the puzzle, and it will take a combination of experiments and theoretical developments to fully understand the fundamental laws of nature.

What are the potential implications for society if the LHC helps us get past the SM?

Exploring physics beyond the Standard Model could have a profound impact on our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could lead to new technologies and applications, such as more efficient energy sources or advanced medical treatments. Additionally, the pursuit of knowledge and understanding of the universe is inherently valuable and can inspire future generations of scientists and thinkers.