Prove Prime p^2+2 is Composite mod 3 #5

• Thread starter phyguy321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, if p ≥ 5 is prime, then p2 + 2 is composite. This can be proven by working mod 3 and using #5 to show that p2 + 2 has a factor of 3.
phyguy321
Prove that if p [tex]\geq[/tex] 5 is prime, then p[tex]^{2}[/tex] +2 is composite
(hint: work mod 3 and use #5 to show p^2 + 2 has a factor of 3.)

Physics news on Phys.org
phyguy321 said:
Prove that if p [tex]\geq[/tex] 5 is prime, then p[tex]^{2}[/tex] +2 is composite
(hint: work mod 3 and use #5 to show p^2 + 2 has a factor of 3.)

Hi phyguy321! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

(and … erm … what's #5? :redface:)

The problem is i have no idea of where to start. Modular arithmetic makes no sense to me. and #5 was my other post on modular arithmetic

phyguy321 said:
The problem is i have no idea of where to start. Modular arithmetic makes no sense to me. and #5 was https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261171"

Your other post was to prove that for any integer n, n2 = 0 or 1 (mod 3).

So n2 + 2 = … ? (mod 3).

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the problem of "Prove Prime p^2+2 is Composite mod 3 #5"?

The problem is to prove that for any prime number p, the expression p^2+2 will always be a composite number when taken mod 3 #5.

Why is this problem significant?

This problem is significant because it is a mathematical proof that has practical applications in cryptography and number theory.

What is the importance of the mod 3 #5 part in the problem?

The mod 3 #5 part is important because it sets specific conditions for the problem and makes it more challenging to prove.

What is the approach to solve this problem?

The approach to solve this problem is to use mathematical proofs and logical reasoning to show that the expression p^2+2 will always result in a composite number when taken mod 3 #5.

What are the possible implications of solving this problem?

Solving this problem can lead to a better understanding of number theory and can also have practical applications in cryptography and data encryption.