Is Compton Scattering Valid at 180 Degrees?

In summary, the Compton scattering equation, \lambda ' - \lambda = \frac{h}{m_{e} c} (1-cos \theta ), can work even when \theta = 180^{\circ}. However, the percentage of a photon's energy that is transferred to an electron via Compton scattering may not exactly match the expected result due to rounding or the use of less-precise values for constants in calculations. The angle of 180 degrees maximizes the energy transfer, but the scattered wavelength may vary depending on the angle of scattering.
snoopies622
Does the Compton scattering equation

[tex]

\lambda ' - \lambda = \frac{h}{m_{e} c} (1-cos \theta )

[/tex]

work even when [tex] \theta = 180^{\circ}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah sure, why shouldn't it?

I just did a textbook problem which asked for the percentage of a photon's energy that would be passed to an electron via Compton scattering given that it was the maximum amount possible, so I assumed the angle was 180 degrees and my answer did not exactly match the book's answer. Then I wondered if perhaps "scattering" implied a kind of deflection and not a complete rebound.

Maybe the mismatch is just due to rounding..

Maximum transfer to electron is when E_prime is minimum

snoopies622 said:
I just did a textbook problem which asked for the percentage of a photon's energy that would be passed to an electron via Compton scattering given that it was the maximum amount possible, so I assumed the angle was 180 degrees and my answer did not exactly match the book's answer. Then I wondered if perhaps "scattering" implied a kind of deflection and not a complete rebound.

Maybe the mismatch is just due to rounding..
At 180°, (E-E')/E = a/(1+a)
where:
E = photon's energy before scattering
E' = photon's energy after scattering
a = 2hv/mc^2 (v = photon's frequency before scattering).

The maximun value of (E-E')/E is 100% for: a = +oo, that is for an infinite energy of the photon before scattering.

What did you and your book get, instead?

Last edited:
The book asks, "for the Compton effect, determine the percentage of energy transferred to the recoil electrons that acquire the maximum kinetic energy when [tex] \lambda = 1.21 x 10^{-10}m[/tex]."

I computed [tex]1-\frac {\lambda}{\lambda '}[/tex]

where [tex]\lambda ' = \lambda + \frac{h}{m_0 c}(1-cos \theta )[/tex]

and [tex]\theta = 180^{\circ}[/tex] since that maximizes [tex]1-cos \theta[/tex].

My answer: 3.85% (rounded from 3.85294..)
Book's answer: 3.93%.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I get 3.86% (rounded from 3.8558%). I used five significant figures for all constants, and did not round off any intermediate steps. I suspect that whoever calculated the book's answer either used less-precise values for the constants, or rounded off one or more intermediate steps.

jtbell said:
I suspect that whoever calculated the book's answer either used less-precise values for the constants, or rounded off one or more intermediate steps.

I guess that happens. Thanks for stepping in. I just looked at the Compton scattering section of another textbook and saw, "the scattered wavelength is angle-dependent and is greatest for scattering in the backward direction ([tex] \theta = 180^{\circ}[/tex])." So there you go.

I get 3.86% using three significant figures for all constants:

lambda = 1.21*10^(-10) m
m =9.11*10^(-31) kg
c = 3.00*10^8 m/s
h = 6.63+10^(-34) J*s

I get 3.90% if I take m = 9.00*10^(-31) kg

1. What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which an incident photon collides with an electron, resulting in a scattered photon with a longer wavelength and a recoiling electron with higher energy.

2. Who discovered Compton scattering?

Compton scattering was discovered by American physicist Arthur Holly Compton in 1923, for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1927.

3. What is the significance of Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is an important phenomenon in the field of quantum mechanics, as it provided evidence for the particle-like nature of photons and the wave-like nature of electrons. It also has practical applications in medical imaging and radiation therapy.

4. How is Compton scattering different from Rayleigh scattering?

Compton scattering involves the interaction of a photon with an individual electron, resulting in a change in the energy and direction of both particles. Rayleigh scattering, on the other hand, involves the interaction of a photon with a collection of particles, such as a gas or liquid, resulting in a scattered photon with the same energy but a different direction.

5. Can Compton scattering occur with other particles besides electrons?

Yes, Compton scattering can occur with other charged particles, such as protons and positrons. However, the amount of energy transferred and the change in wavelength will depend on the mass of the particle involved.