Does Energy Decay Occur in Sealed Metal Boxes with Excited Resonant Modes?

In summary, The conversation discusses the process of exciting resonant modes in a 3d metal box. The method of excitation is by shining incident electromagnetic radiation, and there may be gradual decay of the energy stored in the box. This can be achieved in simulations with a small antenna placed at the anti-node of the desired mode, while in the real world, losses due to imperfect conductors and resistive losses will occur. The energy in the box will decay exponentially with a time constant depending on the quality factor and resonant frequency.
apoptosa
Hey there, I recently solved for the resonant modes in a 3d metal box.

Thats nice, but I was wondering about how to actually excite the modes (its a sealed metal box)
Supposing I actually excited these modes by shining incident em radiation such that a portion [of the incident wave] penetrates by skin effect (assuming the thickness of the metal allows for penetration without too much attenuation).

Will I subsequently have gradual decay of the energy stored in my box? I.e will my resonant mode 'leak' out by a similar process as they were originally excited with?

Thanks-Hopefully that was cogent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking how to excite a cavity in your simulations? Or in the real world?
If it is the latter the answer is that this can be done with a small antenna (a dipole of some sort) placed where the mode you want to excite has an anti-node.
The idea is usually (but not always) to make the antenna so small that losses due to the coupling can be neglected (although if you actually want to measure what is inside your box you have no choice but to "tap" some of its energy).
In the undercoupled case most of the losses will be due to the fact that the walls are made from a non-perfect conductor, i.e. just resistive losses.

And yes, the energy in the box will decay exponentially,

Hello! It sounds like you have successfully solved for the resonant modes in your 3D metal box, which is a great accomplishment. To answer your question about exciting these modes, it is possible to do so by shining incident electromagnetic radiation onto the box. This can cause a portion of the incident wave to penetrate the box, potentially leading to a gradual decay of the energy stored in the box. This decay can occur through a similar process as the original excitation, where the resonant modes leak out. However, the rate of decay will depend on various factors such as the thickness of the metal and the properties of the incident radiation. It is important to consider these factors when designing experiments involving resonant cavities. I hope this helps clarify your question.

1. What is a resonant cavity?

A resonant cavity is a physical structure that is designed to create and maintain standing waves of electromagnetic radiation. It typically consists of two or more parallel conductive surfaces, such as metal plates or mirrors, which are separated by a small distance.

2. How does a resonant cavity work?

A resonant cavity works by trapping electromagnetic waves between the conductive surfaces, causing them to reflect back and forth. When the frequency of the waves matches the natural frequency of the cavity, the waves become amplified and a standing wave is formed. This amplification is known as resonance.

3. What is U(t) decay in a resonant cavity?

U(t) decay refers to the decay of the stored energy in a resonant cavity over time. As the electromagnetic waves reflect back and forth between the conductive surfaces, some energy is lost through various mechanisms, such as radiation or absorption by the cavity walls. U(t) is a mathematical representation of this energy decay over time.

4. What factors affect U(t) decay in a resonant cavity?

The most common factors that affect U(t) decay in a resonant cavity are the quality factor (Q) of the cavity, the material and geometry of the cavity walls, and the frequency of the waves. A higher Q value indicates a longer storage time for the energy, while certain materials and designs may cause more energy loss.

5. What are some real-world applications of resonant cavities?

Resonant cavities have a wide range of applications in various fields such as telecommunications, microwave engineering, and particle accelerators. They are used to generate and amplify radio and microwave signals, filter out unwanted frequencies, and store energy for short periods of time. They are also essential components in devices such as MRI machines, microwave ovens, and radar systems.