Quantum energy level, calcualting total energy

In summary, an ion of element N with 7 protons and 7 electrons has a nuclear charge of +7 e and resembles a hydrogen atom. Using the equation E = -((k*e^2)/(2r)), the total energy of the lowest energy state available to the ion can be calculated. However, an alternative equation En=-Z^2*(E0/n^2), where n is the energy level, Z is the number of protons, and E0 is 13.6 eV, may be more accurate.
lagwagon555

Homework Statement

The element N has 7 electrons and 7 protons in the atom. An ion of N has all the electrons removed except 1, so it resembles a hydrogen atom with a nuclear charge of +7 e.

E1(Hydrogen)= -13.6eV, r1(Hydrogen)= 5.29x10^-11m.
k = 8.99x10^9 e = 1.6x10^-19

What is the total energy (in eV) of the lowest energy state available to the ion?

Homework Equations

E = -((k*e^2)/(2r))

The Attempt at a Solution

It's been driving me insane! I've put every single combination of variables into the equation, and nothing is coming out correctly. They're all in order of magnitudes wrong, so I think I might be using the wrong constants/variables, or even the wrong equation. Can anyone point me in the right direction, as to what I should be putting where? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation En=-Z^2*(E0/n^2), where n is the energy level, Z is the number of protons, and E0 is 13.6 eV. I think this will give you the correct answer.

Absolutely brilliant. I haven't seen that equation yet, so I'll have to look it up to understand it, but it sure as heck works! Thanks for your time, hugely appreciated.

1. What is quantum energy level?

Quantum energy level refers to the specific energy state that an electron occupies within an atom. It is determined by the amount of energy required for the electron to move from its current energy level to a higher or lower energy level.

2. How is quantum energy level calculated?

Quantum energy level is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the mass, velocity, and position of the electron within the atom. This equation is solved to determine the allowed energy levels for the electron.

3. What is the significance of quantum energy level?

Quantum energy level is significant because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.

4. Can the total energy of an atom be calculated?

Yes, the total energy of an atom can be calculated by adding up the energy of all the electrons in the atom. This includes the kinetic energy of the electrons in motion and the potential energy of the electrons in relation to the nucleus.

5. How does quantum energy level affect chemical reactions?

Quantum energy level affects chemical reactions by determining the energy required for electrons to move between energy levels in atoms and molecules. This energy transfer can either release energy, resulting in an exothermic reaction, or absorb energy, causing an endothermic reaction.