What Causes the Negative Sign in Electrostatic Potential Energy Calculations?

Therefore, you should use a different variable to represent the field point and use q_p as the source point.In summary, the classical electrostatic potential energy for a point particle at position x is given by W=-qEx. When calculating the field due to q_p, it will appear in the answer, but a different variable should be used to represent the field point. Additionally, the negative sign in the formula represents the decrease in energy from its initial value due to the work done by the fields in bringing the charges in from infinity.
latentcorpse
another pretty simple question that i can't see:

a 1d harmonic oscillator of mass m carries an electric charge q. a weak uniform, static electric field of magnitude E is applied in the x direction. what is the classical electrostatic potential energy for a point particle at position x.

ans: W=-qEx

i said [itex]W=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q q_p}{x}[/itex] where [itex]q_p[/itex] is the point particle.

now [itex]E=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q_p}{x^2} \Rightarrow W=qEx[/itex]

i have two questions,
(i) why am i missing a negative sign?
(ii)was i correct to use [itex]q_p[/itex] is my expression for E? surely if [itex]q_p[/itex] is located at x and i have taken E to be the electric field at x then there's a problem there, unless both charges were just meant to be taken as q?

Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
(i) why am i missing a negative sign?

[itex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q q_p}{x}[/itex] represents the work done by the fields in bringing the charges in from infinity. The energy stored in the fields therefore decreases by that amount (conservation of energy) from its initial value (Usually defined to be zero when the charges are infinitely far away from each other).

(ii)was i correct to use [itex]q_p[/itex] is my expression for E? surely if [itex]q_p[/itex] is located at x and i have taken E to be the electric field at x then there's a problem there, unless both charges were just meant to be taken as q?

If you are calculating the field due to [itex]q_p[/itex], then yes, it will appear in your answer. However, [itex]x[/itex] is your source point, so you want to use a different variable to represent your field point (You need only worry about field points on the x-axis), the electric field falls off proportional to the square of the distance between your field point and source point.

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electrostatic potential different from electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field, while electrostatic potential is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electric field.

3. How is electrostatic potential calculated?

Electrostatic potential can be calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit charge from one point to another by the magnitude of the charge.

4. What factors affect electrostatic potential?

The factors that affect electrostatic potential include the distance between two points in an electric field, the magnitude and direction of the electric field, and the amount of charge present.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits and in the study of plasma physics. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from air or gas streams, and in electrostatic separators for separating different materials based on their charge.