Evalute expression of associated Legendre's polynomial

In summary, the two expressions for the dielectric scattering field under an electromagnetic plane wave are given by \frac{P_n^1(\cos\theta)}{\sin\theta} and\sin\theta P_n^1'(\cos\theta), where the derivative is with respect to the argument. The two terms are equal when \theta=0 or \theta=\pi, but differ when \theta=0 or \theta=\pi according to the phase convention used.
kzhu
Dear All,

I am implementing the scattering of dielectric sphere under electromagnetic plane wave. The expression of the field contain [tex]\frac{P_n^1(\cos\theta)}{\sin\theta}[/tex] and[tex]\sin\theta P_n^1'(\cos\theta)[/tex], where the derivative is with respect to the argument.

These two terms are giving me difficulty when [tex]\theta=0[/tex] or [tex]\theta=\pi[/tex].

When [tex]\theta=\pi[/tex], in one book (Harrington's Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields), both terms are stated to be
[tex]\frac{(-1)^n n(n+1)}{2}[/tex] on Page 295. In another book (Balanis' Advanced Electromagnetic Engineering), both terms are equal [tex]-\frac{(-1)^n n(n+1)}{2}[/tex].

I don't know which one is correct. Could someone tell me how could I evaluate these two expressions at [tex]\theta=0, \pi[/tex]. Thank you.

kzhu

Physics news on Phys.org
they are both right, depending only which phase convention do you use for the Legendre Polynomial terms.
Legendre Polynoms are defined as an orthonormal basis, a phase (as a sign) doesn't affects their physical description, try to understand the physical meaning of what are you doing in order to solve this phase problem...

Thx for the discussion.

I was able to derive these two expressions. The method is to use the recursive relation of associated legendre's function
[tex](m-n-1)P_{n+1}^m(x) + (2n+1)xP_n^m(x) - (m+n)P_{n-1}^m = 0.[/tex]
and get
[tex]\frac{P_{n+1}^1}{\sin\theta} = \frac{2n+1}{n}\cos\theta\frac{P_n^1}{\sin\theta}-\frac{n+1}{n}\frac{P_{n-1}^1}{\sin\theta}.[/tex]
which is another recursive relation. If we substitute
[tex]P_1^1(\cos\theta) =
-\sin\theta[/tex][tex]P_2^1(\cos\theta)=-3\cos\theta\sin\theta[/tex], and
[tex]P_3^1(\cos\theta)=-\frac{3}{2}(5\cos^2\theta-1)\sin\theta[/tex]
the [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] will cancel out. With the recursive relation, the proof with math induction towards the expressions is straightforward. :)

I still have difficulty to map the solution with [tex]e^{j\omega t}[/tex] convention to [tex]e^{-j\omega t}[/tex] though. :(

1. What is an associated Legendre's polynomial?

An associated Legendre's polynomial is a mathematical function that is used to represent the solutions of certain differential equations, particularly in physics and engineering. It is defined as a generalization of the Legendre polynomial, and can be expressed as a combination of the Legendre polynomial and a function involving the associated Legendre function.

2. How is the expression of associated Legendre's polynomial evaluated?

The expression of associated Legendre's polynomial can be evaluated using the Rodrigues' formula, which involves taking derivatives of the polynomial and plugging in values for the degree and order of the polynomial. Alternatively, it can also be evaluated using recursion formulas.

3. What is the significance of associated Legendre's polynomial in mathematics and science?

Associated Legendre's polynomial is significant in mathematics and science because it is used to solve many important problems in physics and engineering, such as the solution of Laplace's equation and the representation of spherical harmonics. It also has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

4. What are the properties of associated Legendre's polynomial?

Associated Legendre's polynomial has several important properties, including orthogonality, completeness, and recursion. It also has specific formulas for calculating specific values, such as the Legendre-Gauss quadrature formula for numerical integration.

5. Are there any practical applications of associated Legendre's polynomial?

Yes, associated Legendre's polynomial has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. For example, it is used in geodesy to model the Earth's gravitational field, and in astronomy to describe the shape of celestial bodies. It is also used in computer graphics to represent spherical objects and in statistical analysis to estimate parameters in spherical data.