Can I bypass General Physics I-III for theoretical classes?

In summary, the author is a math graduate student who is trying to figure out if taking theoretical classes that are more in-depth than those offered in general physics will be too much for him. He mentions that he is successful in terms of grades and knowledge but for in-depth understanding he needs to have a foundation in basic math. He also mentions that if he doesn't have classes such as hydrodynamics or materials properties taking intro courses may be the only chance to learn it.
coreyjwade
Currently I am back in school taking some math courses to finish an undergraduate degree while getting credit for a master's program in math. I am fairly competent in calculus and did well in the first half of an introductory physics class that I had to withdraw from for other reasons. My long term interests are in astronomy. When it comes to math, I am more of a theoretical person. The reason that I can never fit the general physics classes into my schedule is because of the time consuming labs that I have no interest in taking (I currently work as well). I am very interested in taking the 2nd-3rd year theoretical classes like Electromagnetism, Analytical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics and Relativity. I am wondering if I would be able to handle such classes, or if they would be over my head because my physics background is not strong enough.

A parallel that I would like to make is with the math course Analysis. Calc III is a requirement to take this class. But the reality is that you learn Calculus from the beginning in Analysis in a much more theoretical way. Knowing Calculus helps, but it's not essential to succeed in such a class since you technically learn it from a proof-only mathematical perspective. Are classes like Electromagnetism similar? Is having a basis in electromagnetism with some self study enough to take such a class? Would auditing the class, but not taking the lab cut it? Any advice would be appreciated. I sent a similar but shorter message to the physics chair of the department several weeks ago and was ignored.

Physics news on Phys.org
2nd/3rd year classes always start out with the very most basic stuff/concepts. Being a math graduate student you'll be fine.

You can skip into the sophomore level physics classes (modern, classical, E&M, eventually quantum) without the intro levels (as long as they don't explicitly require them) but I suggest you get an intro physics book or two and learn some of the basic concepts on your own - while the labs themselves may not be necessary, they will expect you to know and understand the definitions of things like force, torque, momentum, and basics from E&M before staring more advanced courses.

Thanks guys. This is very helpful.

You may be successful by skipping the fundamentals but I would not recommend it. If you are interested in pursuing physics you need to build a foundation. These classes are the basis for that foundation. Make an effort to schedule them.

Integral is right. I needed to skip general physics and I started my physics course from 2nd year. I was successful in terms of grades and knowledge however for in-depth understanding you still need basics. Don't worry - with good math foundation it's like reading picture book. Math is simple so you can focus only on physics and it's not as boring as you think. It's like reading a prologue to your favourite book (at least I found oscillators & waves and EM interesting). What's more if you don't have classes such as hydrodynamics or materials properties taking intro courses may be the only chance to learn it.

1. Can I bypass General Physics I-III if I have already taken advanced physics courses in high school?

It depends on the specific university and their transfer credit policies. Some universities may allow you to bypass the General Physics courses if you have taken advanced physics courses in high school and received a high enough score on the AP or IB exam. However, it is best to check with the university's admissions office to confirm their policies.

2. Is it possible to skip General Physics I-III if I have already taken college-level physics courses at a different institution?

Again, this will vary depending on the university. Some may allow you to transfer credits for equivalent courses, while others may require you to take a placement exam to determine your level of proficiency in physics. It is important to check with the university to see if they accept transfer credits and what their policies are for course exemptions.

3. Can I bypass General Physics I-III if I have a strong background in mathematics?

Having a strong background in mathematics can certainly be helpful in understanding theoretical physics, but it may not necessarily exempt you from taking the General Physics courses. The concepts and principles covered in these courses may go beyond just mathematical equations and require a deeper understanding of physics concepts. Again, it is best to check with the university to see if they offer any exemptions for students with strong math backgrounds.

4. Are there any other ways to bypass General Physics I-III besides having prior knowledge or transfer credits?

Some universities may offer alternative options for students who wish to bypass the General Physics courses. This could include taking a placement exam or completing a challenge exam to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the material covered in these courses. However, these options may not be available at all universities, so it is important to check with the institution beforehand.

5. Can I still major in a science-related field if I bypass General Physics I-III?

It depends on the specific major and university. Some science-related majors may require you to take the General Physics courses as part of their curriculum, while others may allow you to substitute it with other advanced physics courses. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to see if bypassing the General Physics courses will affect your ability to major in a specific field.