In-review paper: in gradschool statement

• Thread starter PrismAndGate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the person is an undergraduate with an article in peer review as the first author. They are also applying for grad schools and are wondering if there are any ethical issues with mentioning the contents or abstract of their paper in their statement of purpose. It is acceptable to discuss submitted work in a graduate school application, as long as it is not submitted to multiple journals or conferences simultaneously.
PrismAndGate
I am an undergraduate with an article in peer review right now (first author of three) by one physics journal. I am also applying for grad schools at this time, and I wanted to know if there are any ethical issues or discouragements about mentioning the general contents or abstract of this paper in my statement of purpose. The majority of my undergraduate research is summarized in this paper, so I would think it is crucial to discuss.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think issues would only arise if you took the work in that paper and submitted it to another journal or conference as unsubmitted work.

Discussing work that you have submitted to a journal as a part of a graduate school application is fine.

I understand your concern about mentioning the contents or abstract of your in-review paper in your statement of purpose for graduate school applications. While it is important to highlight your research experience and accomplishments, it is also important to be mindful of ethical considerations when discussing unpublished work.

Firstly, it is important to check with your co-authors and the journal to ensure that it is acceptable to mention the contents or abstract of the paper in your statement of purpose. Some journals may have restrictions on discussing unpublished work, so it is always best to get permission before doing so.

Additionally, it is important to be cautious about how much detail you include in your statement of purpose. You do not want to reveal too much about your research before it is officially published, as this could potentially jeopardize the chances of getting the paper accepted or impact the novelty of your work. It is best to focus on the overall topic and significance of your research without divulging specific results or findings.

Finally, it is important to remember that your statement of purpose should not solely focus on one research project. It is important to showcase a variety of experiences and skills in your application, so be sure to also highlight other research projects or experiences that you have been involved in.

In summary, while it is important to mention your in-review paper in your statement of purpose, it is crucial to do so ethically and with caution. Be sure to obtain permission and avoid revealing too much detail about your work before it is published. Best of luck with your graduate school applications.

1. What is an in-review paper?

An in-review paper is a research manuscript or article that has been submitted to a scientific journal for publication, but has not yet been accepted or rejected. It is currently undergoing the peer-review process, where experts in the field evaluate the quality and validity of the research.

2. What is the purpose of writing an in-review paper in grad school?

Writing an in-review paper in grad school allows students to showcase their research and contribute to their field of study. It also provides an opportunity to receive feedback and improve their writing and research skills. Additionally, if the paper is accepted for publication, it can enhance the student's resume and academic profile.

3. How long does the in-review process typically take?

The length of the in-review process varies depending on the journal and the complexity of the research. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months. It may also require revisions and resubmissions, which can further extend the process.

4. Is it common for in-review papers to be rejected?

Yes, it is common for in-review papers to be rejected by journals. The peer-review process is rigorous and aims to ensure the quality and validity of the research. If a paper is rejected, it does not necessarily mean that the research is flawed, but rather that it may need further revisions or does not fit the scope of the journal.

5. Can in-review papers be cited or referenced in other research?

Yes, in-review papers can be cited or referenced in other research, but it is generally recommended to wait until the paper has been officially accepted for publication. Some journals may also have specific guidelines for citing in-review papers, so it is important to check with the journal before doing so.