Can we build an Atom Smasher like Michio Kaku at our age?

• Thread starter Farquezy
  • Start date
In summary, Me and a friend are sophmores in high school, I'm a big fan of Michio kaku and aware that he created a Atom Smasher at our age, and we want to do the same. We think that this would be a great project and could land us many great opportunities.I was wondering as to how we could go about accomplishing this.If not, what is a great project we could do that would land us great prestige and at the same time be a awesome learning experience.
Farquezy
Me and a friend are sophmores in high school, I'm a big fan of Michio kaku and aware that he created a Atom Smasher at our age, and we want to do the same.

We think that this would be a great project and could land us many great opportunities.
I was wondering as to how we could go about accomplishing this.

Should we try, if so, where can we go to learn how to? ( we googled and didnt get anything useful)
If not, what is a great project we could do that would land us great prestige and at the same time be a awesome learning experience.

I didnt know if where i should put this, please move it to the correct place if its not

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best way to start is to find out how the atom smasher works. It has a lot to do with Electromagnetism such as voltage charge magnetic fields. Talk to your physics teachers about it, perferably an AP physics teacher. Once you know how it works you could start finding out what you need to make it work and go from there

Goodluck with your project sounds freaking sweet!

FoxCommander said:
I think the best way to start is to find out how the atom smasher works. It has a lot to do with Electromagnetism such as voltage charge magnetic fields. Talk to your physics teachers about it, perferably an AP physics teacher. Once you know how it works you could start finding out what you need to make it work and go from there

Goodluck with your project sounds freaking sweet!
Thats exactly what we were thinking, we went on howstuffworks.com and started reading on it.
But i guess asking my Physics teacher would be a the best idea.

The thing it, I am not sure if my physics teacher knows anything about building one, so where can i go to learn about how to build it.

As you said, i guess we should take baby steps and first learn how it works.
thanks

Yes that is a good place to start from (the website)

But don't make it a main source. Dont ask your proffesor about how to build one but the concepts that make it work. One concept is the effect of a magnetic field on a proton/electron. that's just one to get it started i guess. Try to find books and just start reading, trust me its going to be a long road until you guys can start building it.

Message me if you guys need some more hints so i can point you in the right direction.

FoxCommander

A good place to start is downloading and studying this free book by Stan Humphries on "Principles of Charged Particle Acceleration":

http://www.fieldp.com/cpa.html

This book covers both electrostatic (Van de Graaph, Cockroft-Walton, etc.) and circular (cyclotrons, betatrons, etc).

Bob S

From an article I read, Kaku said:
It was powerful enough to pull fillings out of teeth, but the only thing it smashed was the house.

If you are serious about this project then it is doable but will take you many many hours of research before you can truly understand what it involved. I agree with FoxCommander, start of by speaking with your physics teacher about the concepts, don't just ask how to build one. You really need to know the physics behind it before you can understand how to start building one. Good luck and keep us posted.

thanks, i went and asked my teacher and he fully supported us, great idea guys thank you

You might want to start by building a simple particle detector, such as a cloud chamber.

After all, it wouldn't do if you were smashing atoms, but couldn't detect what you were doing!

Amazingly enough :wink:, this has been discussed on PF before. I did a Google search on "how to build a particle accelerator" and at the very top was a list of PF threads! :bugeye:

1. How do I perform an experiment?

To perform an experiment, you should start by clearly defining your research question and hypothesis. Then, gather all necessary materials and equipment. Follow the steps outlined in your experimental procedure and record your results carefully. Finally, analyze your data and draw conclusions based on your findings.

2. How do I collect and analyze data?

Data collection and analysis is a crucial part of the scientific method. To collect data, you should use reliable and valid methods such as surveys, observations, or experiments. Once you have collected your data, you can analyze it by organizing and interpreting it using statistical or qualitative methods. This will help you draw conclusions and make informed decisions based on your findings.

3. How do I write a scientific report?

To write a scientific report, you should follow a specific format that includes an abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. Use clear and concise language, and include relevant data and evidence to support your findings. It is also crucial to use proper citations and references to acknowledge the work of others.

4. How do I ensure the validity and reliability of my results?

To ensure the validity and reliability of your results, you should carefully design your experiment and control for any potential confounding variables. Use appropriate sample sizes and follow standardized procedures. Additionally, you can use statistical methods to analyze your data and determine the significance of your results.

5. How do I communicate my findings to others?

Communicating your findings to others is an essential aspect of being a scientist. You can present your research at conferences, publish it in scientific journals, or create visual aids such as graphs, charts, or posters. Make sure to use clear and concise language and provide evidence to support your claims.