Finding total resistance of circuits with cells in parallel

In summary, the book says that the total resistance of circuits with cells in parallel is 31 ohms, but my calcuation ends up as 30 ohms. Judging by the diagram, it seems that the cells in the diagram are connected in parallel.
highschoolguy
I'm having trouble find the total resistance of circuits with cells in parallel. The answer in the book is 31 ohms, but my calcuation ends up as 30 ohms. What am I doing wrong? (Please show steps if not too much trouble) Thanks in advance!:D

See this site for my work and a diagram of the circuit.

http://img72.photobucket.com/albums/v219/fr0st_lizard/Physics_Problem.gif

The blurry thing says
2 volts/cell
Internal resistance: 1 ohm/cell
And the resistors in the bottom left corner are 10, 5, and 15 ohms. Sorry for my crappy drawing, I did it on paint!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you did the rest right, you calculated the internal resistances wrong. It seems we have two cells in series, and that in parallel with another two cells in series. The two cells in series, each with 1 Ohm of resistance, will give 2 Ohms. Putting the two in parallel will give 1 Ohm for that part of the circuit. So you'd replace the 0.5 you've got with 1. If the rest is right, you should get 30.5, which they may have rounded to 31. Check your numbers. Also, I'm not entirely sure if this is the right way to deal with resistances of cells, but it's something to keep in mind, someone will probalby come along with more certainty soon.

That's the most probable explanation I can think of right now, other than the book is wrong -_-

According to the site
http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/detailed.jsp?artid=1635&type=6&root=5&parent=5&cat=57

"In general, when cells are connected in series, the total electromotive force (emf) is the sum of the emf's of each battery, and the internal resistance is equal to the sum of the separate internal resistances of the cells.

When cells of equal emf and internal resistance are connected in parallel, the resultant emf is the same as that of one cell only and the internal resistance of the battery can be calculated from the formula for resistors in parallel."

I think that series is when current flows through consecutively and parallel is when it flows through concurrently, and the two cells to me, seem like they're connected in parallel. According to the excerpt, I should just add the internal resistances as 1/( (1/1) + (1/1) )

Maybe the cells are connected in series. *confused* Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your diagram shows 2 BATTERIES connected in parallel. Each BATTERY consists of 2 cells connected in series. So each battery has an internal resistance of 2 Ohms. The parallel pair of batteries has a total resistance of 1 ohm.

Doh! *whacks self in the head* That would explain it, lol, thanks:D

What is total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel?

Total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel refers to the overall resistance of the circuit when multiple cells are connected in parallel. It is the combined effect of individual cell resistances and can be calculated using Ohm's law.

How do you calculate total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel?

To calculate total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel, you can use the formula: 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where RT is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances of each cell. Alternatively, you can use the inverse of the sum of the individual cell resistances: RT = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn).

What factors affect the total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel?

The total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel is affected by the individual resistances of each cell, the number of cells connected in parallel, and the type of cells used. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and the type of material used for the circuit.

Why is it important to calculate total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel?

Calculating total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel is important for understanding the overall behavior of the circuit. It allows us to determine the current flow and voltage drop in the circuit, which is crucial for ensuring proper functioning and safety of the circuit.

Can total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel ever be lower than the resistance of the individual cells?

Yes, it is possible for the total resistance in a circuit with cells in parallel to be lower than the resistance of the individual cells. This is due to the combined effect of the cells in parallel, which results in a decrease in overall resistance. This is known as the "parallel resistance rule".