Percent change in tension to achieve specified change in frequency

In summary, to determine the percentage change in tension needed to achieve a specified change in frequency, you can use the formula (T1/T2) = (F1/F2)^2. Simply solve for the percentage change in tension by plugging in the initial and final frequencies and solving for T1/T2. Remember to remove the "1 -" part of the equation when calculating the percentage change.
Jennifer_ea
% change in tension to achieve specified change in frequency

Homework Statement

A particular guitar string is supposed to vibrate at 219 Hz, but it is measured to actually vibrate at 224 Hz. By what percentage should the tension in the string be changed to get the frequency to the correct value?

Homework Equations

v=f(lambda)=sqrt(tension/mu)

Rearranged and combined to give:
(T1/T2) = (F1/F2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This seemed like it should be a very simple problem, I must be doing something basic wrong.

Subbing in the values and changing for %:
%change in Tension = 100 * [1 - (219/224)^2]
= 4.41

However this is shown wrong by the system. I also tried putting in 0.0441 just incase, but no dice. I can't think of any other way to approach this.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jennifer_ea! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a lambda: λ and a mu: µ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Jennifer_ea said:
v=f(lambda)=sqrt(tension/mu)

Subbing in the values and changing for %:
%change in Tension = 100 * [1 - (219/224)^2]
= 4.41

Why the "1 - " ? :wink:

Oops, didn't notice that option!

Yup, I knew this would be a face palmer. When doing the logic out I knew it had to decrease but somehow deemed the negative unwarranted.

Thanks a million!

1. What is the formula for calculating percent change in tension?

The formula for calculating percent change in tension is: (New Tension - Original Tension) / Original Tension x 100%. This will give you the percentage change in tension.

2. How does changing the tension affect the frequency of a string?

Increasing the tension on a string will increase the frequency, while decreasing the tension will decrease the frequency. This is because tension affects the speed at which the wave travels through the string, which in turn affects the frequency.

3. What is the relationship between tension and frequency?

The relationship between tension and frequency is directly proportional. This means that as tension increases, frequency increases, and as tension decreases, frequency decreases.

4. How can I achieve a specified change in frequency by changing the tension?

To achieve a specified change in frequency, you can use the formula: Change in frequency = (Change in tension / Original tension) x Original frequency. This will tell you the amount of change in tension needed to achieve the desired change in frequency.

5. Can changing the tension on a string affect other aspects of its sound?

Yes, changing the tension on a string can affect other aspects of its sound, such as the pitch and tone. This is because tension affects the speed and wavelength of the waves traveling through the string, which ultimately affects the sound produced.