Reaction Rate Experiment - Concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses two solutions: Solution A, which is a dilute solution of potassium iodate and Solution B, which contains starch and hydrogen sulfite ion. The experiment involves mixing different ratios of these solutions and measuring the concentration of iodate over time. The speaker is not sure if they have calculated the concentration correctly and asks for assistance.
firebirds0707
Solution A: is a dilute soultion of potassium iodate, KIO3 which is the source of iodate, IO2(1-)
Solution B: contains some starch and the other reacting species, the hydrogen sulfite ion, HSO3(1-)

1. In a small beaker obtain about 50mL of solution A (0.02 M IO3(-)) and in another small beaker obtain about 70mL of soulition B (HSO3(-))

Trial - Contents of Test tube 1 - Contents of Test Tube 2 - Time (s) - Concentraion IO3(-)

1 10.0mL A + 0mL water 10.0 mL B 6.9 (my guess 0.02)
2 9.0 mL A + 1mL water 10.0 mL B 8.5 (my guess 0.018)
3 8.0 mL A + 2mL water 10.0mL B 9.1 (my guess 0.016)

- My question is, am I getting the concentration right? I don't think I am and I am not sure how to figure it out.

My friend with the same lab results said he got:
1. 0.01
2. 0.09
3. 0.08

so basiclaly what I got divide by 2

Please help me out

thxx

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing to guess here - concentration can be calculated. And obviously your friend is better in these calculations :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a reaction rate experiment?

The purpose of a reaction rate experiment is to determine how fast a chemical reaction occurs under specific conditions. This can help us understand the factors that affect the rate of a reaction and how to control it.

2. How does concentration affect the rate of a reaction?

Increasing the concentration of reactants usually leads to an increase in the rate of a reaction. This is because a higher concentration means there are more reactant particles in the same volume, increasing the chances of collisions and successful reactions.

3. What is the relationship between concentration and reaction rate?

The relationship between concentration and reaction rate is usually directly proportional. This means that as the concentration of reactants increases, the rate of the reaction also increases. However, this relationship may change depending on the specific reaction and its conditions.

4. How do you measure the reaction rate in a concentration experiment?

The reaction rate can be measured by monitoring the changes in the concentration of reactants or products over time. This can be done by using a spectrophotometer, which measures the absorbance of a solution, or by using a titration to determine the amount of reactant or product present at different time intervals.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a reaction rate experiment?

Some potential sources of error in a reaction rate experiment include human error, such as inaccurate measurements or timing, impurities in reactants, environmental factors like temperature or pressure, and incomplete mixing of reactants.