Is Coolege Algebra & Trig the same thing as Pre-Calculus?

In summary, it is recommended to take Pre-Calculus before moving on to Calculus. This can be achieved by taking Trigonometry and College Algebra, or by taking a semester-long Pre-Calculus course. It is important to have a solid understanding of factoring, the unit circle, and 90 degree triangles before taking Calculus. It is best to consult with an adviser at your specific college for the most accurate information.
Poker-face
I am at community college taking intermediate Algebra. I want to move up to Calculus. I was told that College Algebra and Trig is Pre-Calculus. Is this true?

Thanks,
EG

Physics news on Phys.org
Every CC is different, but the one I'm going to college algebra was a step above intermediate. In that case, you'll probably want to take pre-calc before calculus or take college algebra (or whatever equivalent is at your school) and trig. Before calculus you'll want to be able to be able to factor in your sleep and be best friends with the unit circle and the 90 degree triangles.

If you take one semester of Trig and one semester of College Algebra you'll have essentially taken one semester of Pre-Calc. Most semester long pre-calc courses are basically everything you need to know about trig and algebra crammed into one semester. It's usually taken in the very first semester of one's college career before taking Calculus, if one has had up to something like "Algebra II" at high school. Depending on how confident you are at math, you could skip pre-calc and take Calc I next semester or take Pre-Calc next semester and learn your trig there. I'm pretty good at trig but am not so hot when it comes to the algebra so I took College Algebra and then precalc and learned the trig there. Really depends on your prior math experience. I'd recommend pre-calc or trig after your algebra course before taking calculus I.

Every college is different, the best advice you'll get is from an adviser at your school.

1. What is the difference between College Algebra & Trig and Pre-Calculus?

While both courses cover similar topics such as algebraic equations and trigonometric functions, Pre-Calculus is typically seen as a more advanced and in-depth version of College Algebra & Trig. Pre-Calculus may also include additional topics such as polar coordinates, complex numbers, and sequences and series.

2. Can I take Pre-Calculus without taking College Algebra & Trig?

It is not recommended to skip College Algebra & Trig and jump straight into Pre-Calculus, as the latter builds upon the concepts and skills learned in the former. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before moving on to Pre-Calculus.

3. Is College Algebra & Trig a prerequisite for Pre-Calculus?

In most cases, yes. Most colleges and universities require students to complete College Algebra & Trig before enrolling in Pre-Calculus. However, some schools may allow students to take a placement test to determine if they have the necessary skills to skip College Algebra & Trig and move on to Pre-Calculus.

4. Do I need to take both College Algebra & Trig and Pre-Calculus?

It depends on your academic and career goals. If you plan on pursuing a degree in a math-heavy field, it is highly recommended to take both courses to have a solid foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. However, if you only need a basic understanding of these concepts, taking just one of the courses may be sufficient.

5. Which course is more difficult, College Algebra & Trig or Pre-Calculus?

This can vary from person to person, as some may find algebra more challenging while others may struggle with trigonometry. Generally, Pre-Calculus is seen as the more advanced and challenging course due to its inclusion of more complex topics. However, with dedicated studying and practice, both courses can be successfully completed.