HDMI / Component Video Switches

In summary, an HDMI / Component Video "switch" would allow you to output one device's signal to two different TVs.
minger
Science Advisor
HDMI / Component Video "Switches"

Hi guys, I just entered the HDTV realm and I'm having a little difficulty setting up my system. I don't have any place to put old extra TVs, so I have three (no, the girlfriend doesn't like it) TV's basically side by side.

Are there splitter switch things so that I could output my PS3/Wii to 2 of the TV and use a box or something to chose which TV it goes to?

Basically I'd like to be able to use everything on the new TV, but if it's in use, I'd like to be able to hit a switch and output it to one of the auxiliary TVs without switching wires which is what I'm doing now and I think it bush league.

Thanks a bunch,

edit: Actually only the new TV has HDMI input, so I would only need to "split" the Wii's component audio/video. I would think that simply splitting them would lose quality/signal. Am I correct in this thinking?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Yes, there are such things as component-video switches. I used one myself for a while before I converted all my HD connections to HDMI. Here's an example:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10112

I didn't actually use this one, but I bought my current HDMI switch from this company, and they're well-regarded as a source for good, inexpensive audio/video cables, connectors, switches, etc.

I think that's the opposite of what I want. I don't need "extra" inputs or expand the number of inputs my televisions I have; I have plenty.

Rather I'd like to be able to output the signal from my Wii to two televisions without loss of quality. I suppose the first question before hardware would be if simply splitting the signal of the component audio/video will result in losses of quality/strength?

As far as I know, component-video switches can pass the signal in both directions, so they should work for what you want. It's simply that most people use them as I did, to allow more than one device to use a single input on a TV.

You won't be able to watch the same thing on more than one TV, of course.

Monoprice also sells component-video splitters, but I don't know how well one would work in your situation.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10422

Maybe the solution is to pick up a cheap splitter and see how well it works. If it doesn't work well, try picking up a switch and use it in reverse.

Thanks,

I have used a plain old A/V switch for Component Video. They both use RCA connectors and the L/R audio connectors could be used for video. In this case the audio was going to stereo and not the television. The stereo had enough inputs so each source has it's own connectors.

1. What is the difference between HDMI and Component Video switches?

HDMI switches are used to connect multiple HDMI devices to a single TV or monitor, while Component Video switches are used to connect multiple Component Video devices to a single TV or monitor. HDMI switches allow for higher quality audio and video transmission, while Component Video switches may provide better color reproduction.

2. Can I connect both HDMI and Component Video devices to the same switch?

Yes, there are some switches that have both HDMI and Component Video inputs, allowing you to connect a variety of devices. However, it is important to check the specifications of the switch to ensure compatibility with your devices.

3. How many devices can I connect to an HDMI / Component Video switch?

This depends on the specific switch, but most HDMI / Component Video switches have at least 4 input ports. Some may have more, while others may have fewer. Be sure to check the specifications of the switch before purchasing.

4. Do I need an external power source for an HDMI / Component Video switch?

Some HDMI / Component Video switches require an external power source, while others can be powered via the HDMI cable. Check the specifications of the switch to determine if an external power source is needed.

5. Can HDMI / Component Video switches support 4K resolution?

Yes, many HDMI / Component Video switches are capable of supporting 4K resolution. However, it is important to check the specifications of the switch to ensure compatibility with your devices and desired resolution.