Calculating Enthalpy Changes in Aqueous Reactions: A Quick Guide"

• Thread starter mrjeffy321
  • Start date
In summary, if you have a product/reactant that is aqueous, you should use the values of enthalpy for their ions.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
In a reaction, if I have a product/reactant that is aqueous, do I use the values of enthalpy for their ions?

for example:
2Fe (s) + 3NaOCl(aq) --> Fe2O3 (s) + 3NaCl(aq)
which could also be:
2Fe (s) + 3Na-1(aq) + 3O+2(aq) + 3Cl-1(aq) --> Fe2O3 (s) + 3Na+1(aq) + 3Cl-1(aq)

since I can't find a value for the enthalpy of NaOCl, then this would work out nicely to use the ions, and I don't see an aqueous enthalpy value for NaCl, so this is why I am thinking that I should use the ion's enthalpy, am I right.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
but then again, if this is true, then I would need to have the values of enthalpy for a sodium ion that is negative 1, rather than positive, and what an oxygen ion?

Last edited:
I don't believe so. The enthalpy of formation of the following aqueous compounds is the net enthalpy of formation from the corresponding elements from their most stable states; there are substeps involved, one of these substeps I believe pertains to solvation...formation of ions, then solvation.

-------
Online help with chemistry
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework/

Last edited by a moderator:
mrjeffy,

I see you're still rusting, with bleach this time - for your thermit weld, I guess ?

Okay, you've gotten the oxidation states in NaOCl wrong - it should be Na(+1)O(-2)Cl(+1). It's the Chlorine ion that has a weird state. I'm sure the the reduction potential for :
Cl(+1) + 2e- ---> Cl (-1) is documented.

From this, you can calculate the Free Energy change, and from that, the enthalpy change.

But it's not so simple, because you will also have to use the solvation energy for O(-2) as well as the lattice energy for Fe2O3 OR the ionization and lattice energies for Fe - depending on what data you use.

yes, I am still rusting, but mostly just trying to organize all this data I have and get rid of all the scrap paper I have laying around, so I can have all the info I could possibly ever want on these reactions without the clutter.

ok, all see what I can do with this method of doing it.

What is Quick Enthelpy?

Quick Enthelpy is a scientific method used to quickly determine the enthalpy of a substance or system. It involves measuring the change in heat or energy during a process.

Why is Quick Enthelpy important?

Quick Enthelpy is important because it allows scientists to determine the energy changes that occur during a process, which can help in understanding the properties and behavior of a substance or system.

How is Quick Enthelpy measured?

Quick Enthelpy is measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat released or absorbed during a reaction. It involves measuring the temperature change of the substance or system before and after the process.

What is the difference between enthalpy and entropy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, while entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. Enthalpy is related to the heat flow of a system, while entropy is related to the distribution of energy within a system.

How is Quick Enthelpy used in practical applications?

Quick Enthelpy is used in many practical applications, such as in chemical reactions, thermodynamics, and engineering. It can help in designing and optimizing processes, as well as in understanding the behavior of materials and systems in various conditions.