Power - Ferris Wheel with friction

In summary, the problem involves a Ferris wheel with a moment of inertia of 8.95x10^7 kg x m^2 and a motor that keeps it rotating at 6.3 rev/hr. When the motor is turned off, the wheel slows down due to friction and reaches a speed of 3.5 rev/hr in 25 seconds. The question asks for the power of the motor in watts that was able to maintain the initial speed despite the friction. The relevant equation is P = \DeltaW/\Deltat. It is necessary to convert the speed from rev/hr to rad/s in order to solve for the work W. Once W is found, it can be divided by the time interval to calculate the
MissPenguins

Homework Statement

A motor keep a Ferris wheel (with moment of inertia 8.95X10^7 kg X m^2)rotating at 6.3 rev/hr. When the motor is turned off, the wheel slow down (because of friction) to 3.5 rev/hr in 25 s. What was the power of the motor that kept the wheel rotating at 6.3 rev/hr despite friction? Answer in units of W.

Homework Equations

P = [tex]\Delta[/tex]W/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if I interpret it correctly, I guess I have to convert 3.5 rev/hr to rad/s. Correct? And find W by FD? Sorry, I am too sure what to do. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
SORRY, someone else posted it already

You wouldn't by chance be in Professor Woods' class?

Bearbull24.5 said:
You wouldn't by chance be in Professor Woods' class?

I am in his class. I can tell you are since you have "Bull" in your username. ;)

What is a Ferris Wheel with friction?

A Ferris Wheel with friction is a type of amusement ride that consists of a large, rotating wheel with passenger cars attached to the rim. Unlike a traditional Ferris Wheel, this type of ride is designed to slow down and stop at certain points during the rotation, creating a more thrilling experience for riders.

How does friction affect the power of a Ferris Wheel?

Friction plays a significant role in the power of a Ferris Wheel. As the wheel rotates, friction between the wheel and the axle causes a resistance force that must be overcome by the motor. This means that more power is required to keep the wheel rotating at a constant speed.

What factors can affect the power needed to operate a Ferris Wheel with friction?

The main factors that can affect the power needed to operate a Ferris Wheel with friction include the size and weight of the wheel and passenger cars, the amount of friction between the wheel and axle, and the desired speed and acceleration of the wheel.

How is the power of a Ferris Wheel with friction calculated?

The power of a Ferris Wheel with friction is calculated by multiplying the torque (rotational force) needed to overcome the friction by the rotational speed of the wheel. This can be expressed as P = Tω, where P is power, T is torque, and ω is rotational speed.

How can the power of a Ferris Wheel with friction be optimized?

The power of a Ferris Wheel with friction can be optimized by reducing the amount of friction between the wheel and axle, using lighter materials for the wheel and passenger cars, and carefully designing the wheel's speed and acceleration to minimize the amount of power needed to operate it.