Conservation of Motion Collision of two object

In summary, the small cart with a mass of 0.2 kg and initial velocity of 1.3 m/s collides with a larger 3 kg cart at rest on an air track. After the collision, the small cart recoils at a velocity of 0.850 m/s. Using the equation m1V1i + m2V2i = (m1+m2)V2f, we can find the final velocity of the larger cart. Plugging in the values, we get .2*1.3 + 3*0 = (.2+3)V2f, which simplifies to .26 = 3.2V2f. Solving for V2f, we get V2
kbward

Homework Statement

A small car is moving at 1.3 m/s on an air track when it collides with a larger 3 kg cart at rest. After the collision, the small cart recoils at 0.850 m/s.
What is the speed of the large cart after the collision?

Homework Equations

m1V1i + m2V2i = (m1+m2)V2f

m1 = .2 kg
m2 = 3 kg
V1i = 1.3 m/s
V2i = 0
V1f = -.85 /ms
V2f = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

.2*1.3 + 3*0= (.2+3) V2f
.26 = 3.2 V2f
V2f = .26/3.2
V2f = .08125

My answer came back wrong. Where am I making a mistake?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is an elastic collision, then the carts don't move together after the collision.

1. What is conservation of motion?

Conservation of motion is the principle that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does a collision between two objects demonstrate conservation of motion?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is a demonstration of conservation of motion.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

4. How does an inelastic collision differ from an elastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and not conserved. This means that the total energy of the system after the collision is less than the total energy before the collision. However, momentum is still conserved in an inelastic collision.

5. What factors affect the conservation of motion in a collision?

The mass, velocity, and angle of impact of the colliding objects all affect the conservation of motion in a collision. Additionally, external forces such as friction can also impact the conservation of motion in a collision.