Calculating Work and Power in a Given Time Period

In summary, to push a 13.0 kg block of steel across a steel table at a steady speed of 1.30 m/s for 8.30 s, a force of 76.44 N is required. The work done in this process can be calculated using the equation W=Fd, where F is the force and d is the distance traveled. To calculate power output, the equation P=\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t} can be used, where E is the work done and t is the time period.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

a) How much work must you do to push a 13.0 kg block of steel across a steel table ([tex]\mu_{k}[/tex]=0.6) at a steady speed of 1.30 m/s for 8.30 s?

b) What is your power output while doing so?

Homework Equations

[tex]W=\vec{F}*\Delta S[/tex]
[tex]F_{f}=u_{k}*n[/tex]
[tex]F=ma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I applied Newton's Second and performed the following:

[tex]F=ma[/tex]
[tex]F-F_{f} = ma[/tex]

To find [tex]F_{f}[/tex], I used [tex]F_{f}=u_{k}*n[/tex] using [tex]mg[/tex] for [tex]n[/tex] and [tex]0.6[/tex] for [tex]u_{k}[/tex].

[tex]F_{f}=u_{k}*mg[/tex]
[tex]F_{f}=(0.6)*(13)(9.8)[/tex]
[tex]F_{f}=76.44 N[/tex]

Throwing that back into the NII equation along with substituting the other variables, I got:

[tex]F-76.44=(13)(9.8)[/tex]
[tex]F=93.94 N[/tex]

I think I may have done something wrong in that step.

Anyways, if that is correct then this is where I am stuck. I do not know how to apply this information to conclude the work done over the time period supplied.

To solve B, I assume I will simply use the equation [tex]P=\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t}[/tex], where I would use the time supplied for the t value and the answer from part A to the E value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tangibleLime said:
Throwing that back into the NII equation along with substituting the other variables, I got:

[tex]F-76.44=(13)(9.8)[/tex]
[tex]F=93.94 N[/tex]

How did you get a=9.8? a is 0 because the block is moving at constant speed.

Anyways, if that is correct then this is where I am stuck. I do not know how to apply this information to conclude the work done over the time period supplied.

W=Fd. You can calculate F by fixing the mistake I pointed out above, and d is even easier to get.

With your second step, you're overthinking it and making an error by subtracting it from normal force. Force applied is the same as force of friction since it is moving at a constant velocity. This number is correct at 76.44N. 93.94N shouldn't be used.

Now, as for finding work done, as you have listed, W=Fd. You now have force, now you just have to find distance.

For part B your assumption is correct.

Ah, thank you!

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

[tex]x = 0 + 1.3(8.3) + (1/3)(0)(8.3)^2[/tex]

[tex]x \approx 825[/tex]

Thanks again!

1. What is "work with a given time period"?

"Work with a given time period" is a scientific method that involves studying and analyzing data within a specific time frame, in order to understand patterns and trends over time.

2. Why is it important to work with a given time period?

Working with a given time period allows scientists to observe changes and developments in their data over a set period of time, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the topic at hand.

3. How do scientists determine the appropriate time period to work with?

The appropriate time period to work with is determined by the specific research question being addressed. Scientists must consider the length of time necessary to observe changes and patterns, as well as the availability and reliability of data within that time frame.

4. What are some common challenges when working with a given time period?

Some common challenges when working with a given time period include collecting accurate and consistent data, accounting for external factors that may influence the data, and determining the most appropriate time frame for the research question.

5. How can working with a given time period contribute to scientific knowledge?

Working with a given time period allows scientists to track changes and patterns over time, which can provide valuable insights and contribute to a deeper understanding of various phenomena. It also allows for the comparison of data between different time periods, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the topic being studied.