Help Reversing Engineer Induction Stove - Faraday & Joule Laws

• Thread starter joejake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, an induction stove works by creating a changing magnetic field using AC current through coils of wire. This induces a current in magnetic pots or pans, resulting in thermal energy and heating the pot. Faraday's Law of Induction and Joules Law are involved in this process. The principles behind the stove can be explained using mathematical equations, such as del cross E = - partial of B with t and del cross H = J. Researching transformers in an AC circuits text can provide a better understanding of these concepts. In a levitation casting apparatus, a coil and eddy currents heat the metal sample to white hot. The frequency used is around 27MHz and the power is typically a few kW.
joejake
I have an assignment where I have to reverse engineer the induction stove.

I know that this device works by having a changing magnetic field created by putting an ac current through coils of wire. The magnetic field induces a current in any magnetic pots or pans placed on the stove on top of the coils. The pots and pans have internal resistance so there is power loss in the form of thermal energy which heats the pot up.

I know that Faraday's Law of Induction is involved in the induction of the current in the pan. Also, Joules Law is related to the generation of heat energy.

My problem is that I cannot link these concepts to any mathematical equations in order to explain the principles behind the stove.

I would be really grateful if anyone can give me any help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try researching transformers in an AC circuits text.
Of course the idea with transformers is to minimize heating, but the principles involved are the same.

... and you would use higher frequencies then the typical 50-60hz.

In a levitation casting apparatus a coil of about four turns and two inches diameter provides the magnetic field which levitates a sample of metal about an inch in diameter. The same eddy currents in the metal which levitate it also heat it in the vacuum chamber to white hot. Let's see del cross E = - partial of B with t. And del cross H = J. That's all the equations I need. I think f=~ 27MHz so that the RF noise will fall in the CB. The power is some kW.

1. What is an induction stove and how does it work?

An induction stove is a type of cooking appliance that uses electromagnetic induction to heat up cookware. It works by creating a magnetic field that induces an electrical current in the metal of the cookware, which then produces heat.

2. What are Faraday and Joule's laws and how do they apply to induction stoves?

Faraday's law of induction states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electrical current in a conductor. Joule's law states that the amount of heat produced by an electrical current is proportional to the resistance of the conductor and the square of the current. These laws apply to induction stoves because the changing magnetic field induces an electrical current in the cookware, and the resistance of the cookware produces heat.

3. Can you reverse engineer an induction stove using Faraday and Joule's laws?

Yes, it is possible to use Faraday and Joule's laws to reverse engineer an induction stove. By understanding the principles behind how induction stoves work, you can manipulate the variables such as magnetic field strength and resistance to design a stove that meets your specific needs.

4. What are some challenges in reverse engineering an induction stove?

One challenge in reverse engineering an induction stove is accurately measuring and controlling the magnetic field strength. Another challenge is finding the right balance of resistance in the cookware to produce the desired amount of heat without overheating the stove or the cookware.

5. Can reverse engineering an induction stove lead to improvements in its design?

Yes, by understanding the underlying principles of induction stoves, reverse engineering can lead to improvements in their design. For example, researchers can use this knowledge to develop more efficient and cost-effective induction stoves, or to create stoves that can work with a wider range of cookware materials.