3-State circuit Design small question help

In summary: So basically, if the enable input is low, the MOSFETs will be turned off, because their gate to source voltage is low.In summary, Warren is trying to figure out how the third state (disconnected) is achieved, and he is not sure. He has a quiz coming up and this is bothering him. He needs help from someone.
mmmboh
[PLAIN]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1046/fig9.jpg

This isn't actually homework so I'm not sure it should be posted here but I think it fits. In the notes the teacher wrote that in this figure to think about how the third state (disconnected) is achieved, and well I've thought about it but aren't sure. I have a quiz coming up and this is bothering me can someone help me please?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mmmboh. Let's start by hearing what you think might be happening.

- Warren

What's the truth table?

mmmboh, see, I figured you were really close to the right answer already. You've got it right. When the enable input is low, the two transistors are turned off by giving them zero gate voltage. (If you don't know what I mean, let me know.) When the transistors are turned off, their impedance is very high. That means very little current can flow through either of them, which effectively makes the output "disconnected." Usually, it's called a "high-impedance" state.

- Warren

So basically the MOSFETs are turned off by giving them zero gate voltage, and at this point the impedance is very high so their is little current which is like an open...
But yeah, I'm not EXACTLY sure what you mean by zero gate voltage, I'd be thankful for a bit of an explanation.

Sure, mmmboh. First, a definition. The "source" of a transistor is where its carriers come from. NMOS transistors, the ones on the bottom, conduct electrons, which come from the negative supply. So the source of the NMOS transistors is the ground rail at the bottom of the circuit. Everything's backwards for PMOS transistors, so their sources are the supply rail at the top of the circuit.

When I said "zero gate voltage," I implicitly meant "zero volts on the gate, relative to the source." The proper term is "gate to source" voltage, or Vgs.

When the gate is driven to the same voltage as the source -- like when the enable input is low -- the transistor has "zero gate voltage," and turns off. It takes about Vgs >= 0.6 or 0.7V to turn on common NMOS MOSFETs. (And Vgs <= 0.6 or 0.7V for PMOS.)

- Warren

What is a 3-State circuit design?

A 3-State circuit design is a type of digital circuit that has three different logic states: high, low, and high-impedance. This allows for greater flexibility and control over the output signal.

What are the advantages of using a 3-State circuit design?

One advantage is that it allows for multiple outputs to be connected to a single input, reducing the number of necessary connections. It also allows for easier control over the output signal and reduces the likelihood of signal interference.

How are 3-State circuits different from traditional binary circuits?

While traditional binary circuits have only two logic states (high and low), 3-State circuits have an additional state of high-impedance. This allows for greater control over the output and reduces the need for additional logic gates.

What are some common applications of 3-State circuits?

3-State circuits are often used in microcontrollers, data buses, and memory circuits. They are also commonly used in systems that require bidirectional communication, such as serial interfaces.

How can I design a 3-State circuit?

To design a 3-State circuit, you will need to first determine the logic states and the output control signals. Then, you can use logic gates and other components to create the desired circuit. It is important to carefully plan and test your design to ensure it functions properly.