Why do we hear humming when we are in a quiet place?

• Thread starter rody084
  • Start date
In summary: When you are in a quiet place, your auditory system is actively trying to detect noises and the neurons randomly fire. The same thing happens to your visual system when you sit in a pitch-black room -- your visual system is actively searching for stimuli.
rody084
Hi,

After visiting Death Valley (where it is extremely quiet) and after trying earplugs... I have noticed that there is a humming sound in my head when outside noise is blocked.

So this got me thinking about helicopters and how they use a cancelling soundwave to block out the noise generated by the chopper.

if you take 2 opposite sound waves and you combine them together... giving you destructive interference... then you come out with no noise (in theory...right?)

so, what I was thinking... was that because I live in the city...and there is always a noise murmor in the city or busy metropolitan areas... our brain has created an opposite wave to the murmor which is meant to cancel the noise out.

so, when we are in a quiet area... there is no wave to cancel out what our brain is generating (there is no city noise to destructively interfere with what our brain generated)... so therefore we can hear the wave that our brain generated.

this is just a HS physics student's crazy theory... any input is very very welcome!

thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
It's just your auditory system attempting to pick up a sound. The auditory system is actively trying to detect noises, and the neurons randomly fire every now and then.

The same thing happens to your visual system when you sit in a pitch-black room -- your visual system is actively searching for stimuli, and essentially begins making things up.

Your city-noise theory does not hold water -- people who grow up in rural areas also experience this phenomenon. Besides, the active noise-reduction systems you are talking about are tightly closed-loop: they sample the input and very quickly produce an output to null it. The nulling output has to *exactly* match the input to be canceled for the system to work. You couldn't just generate a "generic nulling wave," record it on tape, and and play it again and again; it would not match, and would generally make more noise than it cancelled.

- Warren

ah... knew it had to be pretty far fetched...hehe ty chroot.

the way i thoguht the chopper thing worked was that it would take a sample sound in that instant and generate it.

i read sumwhere that our body takes around 3 seconds to actually acknowledge things... that there is sum kind of 3-second delay... so i was thinking maybe it worked off of that.

anyone know anything about the 3-second thing?

ty again for clarifying ch

What moonbear said. The most usual explanation for a faint hum is you are hearing the flow of your own blood.

1. Why do we hear humming when we are in a quiet place?

The humming sound that we hear in a quiet place is actually a form of auditory hallucination known as "musical ear syndrome." It occurs when the brain creates its own sound to compensate for the lack of external noise. This is more likely to happen in a quiet environment because there are no external sounds to mask the hallucination.

2. Is the humming sound caused by tinnitus?

No, the humming sound in a quiet place is not usually caused by tinnitus. Tinnitus is a perception of sound within the ear without any external source, and it can be perceived even in a noisy environment. The humming sound in a quiet place is more likely to be a result of the brain's attempt to fill in the silence.

3. Can everyone experience humming in a quiet place?

Yes, anyone can experience humming in a quiet place. However, it is more common in older individuals and those with hearing loss. It can also occur in individuals with certain neurological conditions, such as epilepsy or Parkinson's disease.

4. How can we prevent or reduce the humming sound in a quiet place?

There is no known way to prevent or reduce the humming sound in a quiet place, as it is a natural response of the brain. However, some individuals have reported that distracting themselves with other sounds, such as music or white noise, can help lessen the intensity of the humming.

5. Is the humming sound harmful?

No, the humming sound in a quiet place is not harmful. It is simply a perception created by the brain and does not have any negative effects on our health. However, if you are experiencing any other symptoms or concerns related to your hearing, it is best to consult a medical professional.