Young's Modulus of Pressure Sensor

In summary, the question discusses building pressure using a block of elastic material and measuring the pressure with a strain gauge. The gauge factor of the strain gauge is 2.5 and when 1 mm Hg of pressure is applied, a delta R/R of 0.01% is obtained. The nominal resistance of the strain gauge is 1000 Ohm. The task is to find the Young's Modulus of Elasticity (E) for the elastic block. The formula for Young's Modulus is given and the strain is found to be 4 x 10^-5 using the formula ((1/F) x delt.R/R), where F is the gauge factor. However, the next steps to finding the stress are unclear.
ptar

Homework Statement

Here's the question, verbatim;
We want to build a pressure using a block of elastic material, where the pressure applied to the top surface is measured by a strain gauge mounted on one of the side walls of the block. The gauge factor of the strain gauge is 2.5. When 1 mm Hg of pressure is applied to the top surface, we obtain a delta R/R of 0.01% on the strain gauge. The nominal resistance of the strain gauge is 1000 Ohm.
(a) What is Young's Modulus of Elasticity (E) for the elastic block?

Homework Equations

Young's Modulus= Stress/ Strain = (F/A) / (delta l/l)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here the strain can also be given by the formula ((1/F) x delt.R/R), where F is the gauge factor. Plugging numbers in here, I've worked out the strain to be 4 x 10^-5. However, I have no idea what to do next. I'm sure you need area to work out stress. Or would integrating the pressure work, as pressure is dF/dA? But then you would still be left with a variable in the stress result.

Please help! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have this same problem for my assignment and am stuck. I've found out the strain but no idea on working out the stress.
ptar said:

Homework Statement

Here's the question, verbatim;
We want to build a pressure using a block of elastic material, where the pressure applied to the top surface is measured by a strain gauge mounted on one of the side walls of the block. The gauge factor of the strain gauge is 2.5. When 1 mm Hg of pressure is applied to the top surface, we obtain a delta R/R of 0.01% on the strain gauge. The nominal resistance of the strain gauge is 1000 Ohm.
(a) What is Young's Modulus of Elasticity (E) for the elastic block?

Homework Equations

Young's Modulus= Stress/ Strain = (F/A) / (delta l/l)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here the strain can also be given by the formula ((1/F) x delt.R/R), where F is the gauge factor. Plugging numbers in here, I've worked out the strain to be 4 x 10^-5. However, I have no idea what to do next. I'm sure you need area to work out stress. Or would integrating the pressure work, as pressure is dF/dA? But then you would still be left with a variable in the stress result.

Please help! Thanks.

1. What is Young's Modulus of a pressure sensor?

The Young's Modulus of a pressure sensor is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of the sensor's material. It represents the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in the material when it is subjected to a compressive or tensile force.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated for a pressure sensor?

To calculate Young's Modulus for a pressure sensor, the force applied to the sensor and the resulting change in length or strain must be measured. The Young's Modulus can then be calculated by dividing the stress (force/area) by the strain (change in length/original length).

3. What is the unit of measurement for Young's Modulus of a pressure sensor?

The unit of measurement for Young's Modulus is typically in Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it is often measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilo-pounds per square inch (ksi).

4. How does Young's Modulus affect the performance of a pressure sensor?

The Young's Modulus of a pressure sensor is an important factor in determining its sensitivity and accuracy. A higher Young's Modulus means the material is stiffer and will experience less deformation under the same amount of force, resulting in a more sensitive and accurate sensor.

5. Can Young's Modulus change over time for a pressure sensor?

Yes, Young's Modulus can change over time for a pressure sensor due to factors such as environmental conditions and wear and tear. This can affect the performance and accuracy of the sensor, so regular calibration is recommended to ensure accurate readings.