Break Beam Sensor with a USB interface

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a control system for a bowling alley. The individual, a Computer Engineering student, is seeking help with the hardware aspect of the system. They are concerned about the suitability of using IR sensors due to potential interference and are seeking suggestions for components and schematics. The conversation also mentions the importance of cost for the project.
SaxyTimmy
Hello,

I am attempting to build a control system including foul line detectors for a bowling alley. I am a Computer Engineering student, and while I am really good at the software side of things am a bit lacking in the hardware side. I was wondering if I could get any help in creating this.

I have been doing some research into this and am not sure about the suitability of IR since there may be many in the same alley in approximately the same location. This means that maybe some of the light would overflow into the next sensor requiring us to have different thresholds for each of the sensors. This would not be ideal.

I know that what we need is essentially a IR transmitter on one side, and an IR receiver on the other. The IR receiver would likely have to have some sort of resistor over which you would measure the voltage. From this point onward I am kinda stuck. How would we go about trasmitting this voltage back to Computer over USB. Cost is of great importance for this project so hopefully it won't require any complex computation.

Any thoughts, schematics or prefabbed parts that you know of would be of great importance.

Thanks so much!

Tim

Engineering news on Phys.org
IR led and IR photodiodes can have a fairly small angular intensity pattern. Check out the Relative Radiant Intensity vs. Angular Displacement in figure 7 on both of these.

http://www.robokits.co.in/datasheets/TSFF5210.pdf" [Broken]

http://www.robokits.co.in/datasheets/BPV10nf.pdf" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a break beam sensor with a USB interface?

A break beam sensor with a USB interface is a type of sensor that uses an infrared beam to detect when an object passes through it. It is equipped with a USB interface, allowing it to be connected to a computer or other device for data transfer and control.

2. How does a break beam sensor with a USB interface work?

The sensor emits an infrared beam from one side and detects the reflection of that beam on the other side. When an object passes through the beam, it breaks the connection and triggers the sensor to send a signal through the USB interface to a connected device.

3. What are the benefits of using a break beam sensor with a USB interface?

Break beam sensors with USB interfaces offer several advantages, including accurate and reliable detection, easy integration with other devices, and the ability to transfer data and control the sensor remotely.

4. What are some common applications for break beam sensors with USB interfaces?

These sensors are commonly used for security systems, automatic doors, traffic control, inventory management, and other applications where precise detection and data transfer are required.

5. Can a break beam sensor with a USB interface be used outdoors?

Yes, some break beam sensors with USB interfaces are designed for outdoor use. However, it is important to check the specifications of the sensor to ensure it is suitable for the environment and conditions in which it will be used.