Transport theorem, final integral

In summary, the question is about showing that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integral of the derivative, using the fundamental theorem of calculus. The variables involved are time (t), radius (r), density (\rho), and an arbitrary differentiable function (\phi). This is in the context of a mechanics course. The solution involves using the definition of the total derivative.
Leb

Homework Statement

Show that

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\int \rho r^{2}\phi dr = \int \rho r^{2}\frac{d\phi}{dr} dr [/itex]

Homework Equations

Fundamental theorem of calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

So I follow the derivation from the textbook and I think I get the rather sneaky rearrangement of the derivatives, but I do not see how
[itex]\int \rho r^{2}\frac{d\phi}{dt} dr = \int \rho r^{2}\left(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}+v\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r}\right)dr [/itex]

Note: Integrals are evaluated from a to b, and v(x,t) = dx/dt (e.g. da/dt = v(a,t))

Physics news on Phys.org
What do the variables depend on? I don't see any problem with the line given a t and r dependence in phi. What subject is this in? Care to share some more problem details?

Sorry, I thought it was something standard. It is a mechanics course.

t-time, r - radius, [itex]\rho (r,t) [/itex] is density, [itex]\phi (r,t) [/itex] is an arbitrary differentiable function, a=a(t), b=b(t)

25qrxp4.jpg

EDIT:

Nevermind, it is simply using the definition of the total derivative. That's all there is to it...

Last edited:

1. What is the transport theorem?

The transport theorem is a mathematical concept used to calculate the change of a quantity over time or space. It is often used in fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and other fields of science and engineering. It takes into account the transport of a quantity due to both convection and diffusion.

2. What is the final integral in the transport theorem?

The final integral in the transport theorem is the integral of the quantity of interest over a specified region of interest, such as a volume or surface. It represents the total amount of the quantity present in the region at a given time.

3. How is the transport theorem used in practical applications?

The transport theorem is used in practical applications to analyze and predict the behavior of various physical quantities, such as the flow of fluids or the diffusion of heat. It allows scientists and engineers to understand and optimize systems by considering the transport of these quantities.

4. What are the assumptions made in the transport theorem?

There are several assumptions made in the transport theorem, including that the quantity of interest is conserved and that the transport is governed by a linear differential equation. Additionally, the region of interest must be well-defined and the transport coefficients must be constant.

5. Are there any limitations to the transport theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the transport theorem. It may not be applicable to systems that involve highly nonlinear or turbulent transport. Additionally, it may not accurately predict the behavior of systems with complex geometries or varying transport coefficients.