Who Knows Anything About the Field of Accelerator Physics?

In summary, accelerator physics is a specialized field that focuses on the design, construction, and operation of particle accelerators. It combines principles from physics, engineering, and mathematics to study the behavior and properties of particles as they are accelerated to high energies. This field is essential for research in areas such as nuclear and particle physics, as well as applications in medicine and industry. Experts in accelerator physics have a deep understanding of fundamental concepts such as electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics, and use advanced technologies to push the boundaries of scientific discovery.
Moneer81
Hello,

I know there was a thread about this article at some point but take a look at this:

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/april-2010/a-field-where-jobs-go-begging

It claims that Accelerator Physics is a field where jobs go begging!

Regardless of whether the jobs go begging or not, I find the field itself fascinating. Does anyone if there are careers in healthcare that rely on this background? I am trying to think about where an Accelerator Physicist can work, besides the obvious, and I saw mentions to a need for accelerator physicists in healthcare and other areas...

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Some accelerators like the GE PETrace are used to manufacture radiopharmaceuticals (usually positron emitters) such as F-18, N-13, etc. I know several years ago Kettering was doing research into other positron emitters.

As for an actual accelerator physicist, about the only thing I can think they would be doing which such existing machines is either modifying them for additional applications or developing other models.

I know that multinational oil and natural gas companies actively recruit physicists. For example, Schlumberger gave a recruitment presentation at Jefferson Lab in the summer of 2010. Perhaps not surprisingly, they have a preference for people with experience in the kinds of physics most relevant to resource extraction (I think spectroscopy and geo stuff), but I think they also sometimes hire former accelerator physicists.

ZapperZ said:
You are a couple of years behind.

I've mentioned this article, and also have given several other links on this field.

www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

Zz.

That's the thread I was referring to! I know this has been mentioned before...
This does really sound intriguing, especially after going through one of your links:

http://www.acceleratorsamerica.org/files/Report.pdf

I wonder if there are any accelerator physicists around here that might offer some insight about the field and their career.

As someone considering graduate school, what would be a good program/field to look into that might eventually lead into such a career? My understanding is that most of the preparation for such careers happens during short and intense summer training programs.

There are many schools that offer a program in accelerator physics. Maryland, Cornell, Indiana, UCLA, USC, Berkeley, Stanford, etc... etc. There are even smaller schools, such as Illinois Inst. of Technology and Vanderbilt, for examples, that may have small number of students, but with the USPAS and access to National labs, their students have no disadvantage over the bigger boys.

Zz.

1. What is accelerator physics and what does it study?

Accelerator physics is a field of physics that studies the behavior and manipulation of charged particles, such as electrons and protons, as they are accelerated to high energies in particle accelerators. This field also studies the design, construction, and operation of these accelerators.

2. What are the practical applications of accelerator physics?

Accelerator physics has many practical applications, including medical imaging and cancer treatment, materials science, and nuclear energy research. Particle accelerators are also used in industry for materials processing and sterilization.

3. How do particle accelerators work?

Particle accelerators use electric fields to accelerate charged particles and magnetic fields to steer them. These particles are then made to collide with each other or with a stationary target, allowing scientists to study the fundamental properties of matter.

4. What are the challenges in accelerator physics?

One of the main challenges in accelerator physics is designing and building accelerators that can reach higher and higher energies. This requires advanced technologies and precise control of the particle beams. Another challenge is ensuring the safety and reliability of these complex machines.

5. What are some recent advancements in accelerator physics?

Recent advancements in accelerator physics include the development of new techniques for accelerating particles, such as plasma-based accelerators, and the construction of larger and more powerful facilities, such as the Large Hadron Collider. There are also ongoing efforts to make accelerators more compact and cost-effective.