Find Values of p & c in Waves & Resonances Equation

• Thread starter CharlieChurch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the values of p and c using the equation logλ = p x log T + log c, where T is tension and λ is frequency. It was mentioned that T ranges from 0.4905 to 2.4525 and the value of λ was given as 50Hz. The conversation also touched upon rearranging the equation and comparing it with another equation to find the values of p and c.
CharlieChurch
Determine the values of p & c
Use the equation logλ = p x log T + log c
Where log T is on the x-axis and logλis on the y axis.
T is tension C is a constant and I have to find p which will be the slope of the graph plotted.
λ was 50Hz I think that log 10 of 50 is 1.69897. T is the mass x 9.81 N kg-1
T ranges from 0.4905 to 2.4525.
How do I determine C?

It is probably very simple for most of you but for me it is a complete mystery. The longer I struggle the more circles I complete.
Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CharlieChurch said:
Determine the values of p & c
Use the equation logλ = p x log T + log c
Where log T is on the x-axis and logλis on the y axis.
T is tension C is a constant and I have to find p which will be the slope of the graph plotted.
λ was 50Hz

It is probably very simple for most of you but for me it is a complete mystery. The longer I struggle the more circles I complete.
Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

you can rearrange your equation as

logf=log(Tp*c)

so that will give you
f=Tp*c

now compare it with the equation

f=([itex]\frac{T}{μ}[/itex])1/2[itex]\frac{1}{λ}[/itex]

check for constants.

Note:I am using "f" as frequency. In your problem you have taken it as λ
in my solution i have taken λ as wavelength.

Thank you, I shall try that and report back.

1. What is the equation for waves and resonances?

The equation for waves and resonances is given by the formula p = c/λ, where p is the wavelength, c is the speed of the wave, and λ is the frequency.

2. How do you find the values of p and c in the waves and resonances equation?

To find the values of p and c, you will need to know the frequency and the speed of the wave. The frequency can be measured in Hertz (Hz), and the speed of the wave can be calculated using the medium's properties (e.g. sound waves travel at different speeds in different materials).

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in the waves and resonances equation?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency in the waves and resonances equation is inverse. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can the waves and resonances equation be applied to different types of waves?

Yes, the waves and resonances equation can be applied to different types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. However, the values of p and c may vary depending on the medium through which the wave is traveling.

5. How is the waves and resonances equation used in practical applications?

The waves and resonances equation is used in a variety of practical applications, such as designing musical instruments, understanding the behavior of sound waves in different environments, and determining the optimal frequency for medical treatments such as ultrasound. It is also essential in fields such as acoustics, optics, and seismology.