How can the ranch hand successfully jump onto the galloping horse?

In summary: It is very confusing. Could you please explain what you are trying to say?In summary, the ranch hand must jump from a tree limb at the speed of 9.28 m/s and the distance from the limb to the saddle is 3.84m in order to hit the horse at the gallop.
waldvocm

Homework Statement

A ranch hand sitting on a tree limb wishes to drop vertically onto a horse galloping under the tree at the speed of 9.28 m/s and the distance from the limb to the saddle is 3.84m.

a) What must be the horizontal distance (m) between the saddle and the limb when the ranch hand makes his move?

Homework Equations

It will take the person .39 s to drop from the tree limb to the saddle. So when the horse it .39 seconds away the person should jump. Should I use an equation position as a function of time?

The Attempt at a Solution

3.88m I divided .39 by 9.28 = .042 then added that to the original distance away from the saddle leaving me with 3.88m as a final answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you figure it will take the person 0.39 s to drop down? Dividing 3.84 m by 9.8 m/s2 is not the way to go. What kinematics equation is applicable here?

waldvocm said:

Homework Statement

...the distance from the limb to the saddle is 3.84m.

Without a picture one can only assume what it means. Is it saying when the saddle is vertically underneath the tree limb that the distance between the limb and the saddle is 3.84m?

Yes, that is what I am assuming.

Would I use the kinematics equation for position as a function of velocity and time.

Xf = Xi + 1/2(Vxi + Vxf)t

You don't know two things in that equation, time and final velocity. What other kinematics equation relates displacement and time and also involves the acceleration which is known?

Vxf^2 = Vxi^2 + 2ax(d)

Vxf^2 = 0 + 2(9.28)(3.84)

I thought this was right, but shouldn't I be solving for the displacement.

Ok, this gives you his speed when he hits the saddle. How are you going to find the time it takes him to drop down?

You should not be solving for the displacement because you that it is 3.84 m.

Do I need to know the time it takes him to drop down?

This is the questions - What must be the horizontal distance (m) between the saddle and the limb when the ranch hand makes his move?

Part b asks how long he is in the air

to find the time I could solve the previous equation for the final V and use this equation -

Vf = Vi + a*t

to find the time he is in the air

Yes, you can find the time this way and that would be the answer to part (b) incidentally.

I am still confusec as to how to find the distance between the limb and the saddle when he makes his move.

Can I use the variables that I just found Vf and t to solve for the displacement?

Xf = Xi + 1/2(Vxi + Vxf)t

Thank you for your time and patients. I am taking this class online and I am finding the lack of lecture and one on one help to be very challenging. It is difficult material to teach yourself out of a book.

Yes, you can use that equation to find the time.
I am still confusec as to how to find the distance between the limb and the saddle when he makes his move.

What's so confusing? The problem gives you the distance between the limb and the saddle, you don't need to find it.
waldvocm said:
... and the distance from the limb to the saddle is 3.84m.

Stop going around in circles.

1. What is a vertical drop?

A vertical drop is the distance in feet or meters from the highest point of a roller coaster or amusement ride to the lowest point of the ride. It is the steepness of the descent and can greatly impact the speed and intensity of the ride.

2. How does the vertical drop affect the speed of a ride?

The steeper the vertical drop, the faster the ride will reach its maximum speed. This is because gravity pulls the ride downwards, accelerating it to reach higher speeds. Therefore, a longer and steeper vertical drop will result in a faster ride.

3. What is the relationship between vertical drop and G-forces?

G-forces, or the force of gravity acting on a rider, increase as the vertical drop becomes steeper. This is due to the increased speed and acceleration from the drop, causing riders to experience more intense sensations and forces on their bodies.

4. Can the speed of a ride be controlled by the vertical drop alone?

No, the speed of a ride is also influenced by other factors such as the shape of the track, the weight and design of the ride vehicles, and the amount of friction between the ride and the track. However, a steeper vertical drop can significantly increase the speed of a ride.

5. Is there a limit to how steep a vertical drop can be?

Yes, there is a limit to the steepness of a vertical drop due to safety concerns. The steepest drop on a roller coaster is currently 90 degrees, as any steeper could result in excessive G-forces that may be harmful to riders. Additionally, the construction and engineering of a ride may also limit how steep a drop can be.