From Gutenberg to Gates - the death of printed text

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death Text
In summary, books are sliding into oblivion. Schools are handing out laptops. Newspapers are dying in droves. Even billboards are blazing with electronic bling.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My shelves of once cherished and indispensable academic books, now seem more a box full of slide rules, or like my dusty old stack of 45's, than they do the deep well of knowledge that they represented as I slowly stocked them. It seems to finally be true: The long predicted death of print is happening before our lcd-lit eyes. Books are sliding into oblivion. Schools are handing out laptops. Newspapers are dying in droves. Even billboards are blazing with electronic bling.

It was a truly life-changing event when, a few years ago, I tossed about six-hundred pounds of manuals and technical information - a library of information that I had built over a span of twenty-five years. But it was truly shocking, when I realized the other day that I have hardly walked into a library in ten years. That really brought it home for me.

It seems to me that we are privileged witnesses to a profound, historic event, playing out in slow motion. I will post more of my own observations later but I wanted to get the discussion started. What is the significance of this event? How will it change life as we know it? What is the potential price, in psycho-social terms, of the death of print?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My parents' bought an Encyclopedia Britanica 20+ years ago when I was in junior high. Is it even for sale anymore? My dad still references it occasionally - I have brunch with my parents every Sunday and my dad pulled it out for a discussion on the civil rights movement just last week. Me? I googled for what I was looking for.
It was a truly life-changing event when, a few years ago, I tossed about six-hundred pounds of manuals and technical information - a library of information that I had built over a span of twenty-five years.
20 feet away from me at work is a 20 foot wide wall covered with cataloges. If I can download the fan curve I want faster than I can get up, walk to the wall, find the cat I need, walk back to my cube, and flip through it to find the fan curve...why bother using it?

...caveat: some vendors have crappy websites and I still use the catalogues for them.

When I started in industry every electrical engineer in the hardware end had several shelves of IC data books. I mean all of them, every engineer, everywhere had ye olde National and Intel data book colors flying like Man-of-Wars at sea. Today in 2010 they're gone, I mean utterly gone, even for the old timers.

russ_watters said:
My parents' bought an Encyclopedia Britanica 20+ years ago when I was in junior high. Is it even for sale anymore? My dad still references it occasionally - I have brunch with my parents every Sunday and my dad pulled it out for a discussion on the civil rights movement just last week. Me? I googled for what I was looking for. 20 feet away from me at work is a 20 foot wide wall covered with cataloges. If I can download the fan curve I want faster than I can get up, walk to the wall, find the cat I need, walk back to my cube, and flip through it to find the fan curve...why bother using it?

...caveat: some vendors have crappy websites and I still use the catalogues for them.

On rare occasions I am forced to use a printed manual or reference. I swear, on a number of occasions, I have caught myself thinking to hit Ctrl-F. I get very annoyed when I realize that it's not there. :biggrin:

In regards to libraries, I can now get information in ten seconds or so, at most usually a few minutes, that once required several hours; even days, or weeks. Way back when, it wasn't unusual to contact manufacturers with technical information requests. Getting a response sometimes took weeks. I can almost always get anything I need online now. At worst, normally, I'll need to have a tech support person send me a technical note by email. Often that arrives within minutes of my request.

Ah but pocketbooks will hang on for a long time. Reading a pocketbook is as much about the viscerality of the experience as it is about the content.

DaveC426913 said:
Ah but pocketbooks will hang on for a long time. Reading a pocketbook is as much about the viscerality of the experience as it is about the content.

Tsu dumped those for her Kindle long ago. She is already a year into the second generation model. But your point is taken. Reading can be a tactile experience. Part of the price?

As we now say in our house: That book's a real button-pusher!

Last edited:
She can browse the library of who knows how many books, and download a new book, from almost anywhere, in a matter of seconds. No internet connetion required. And, the books are usually cheaper than printed books. I believe they are usually significantly cheaper. Her account is billed automatically. And you can carry every book you have ever owned or ever will read, in your pocket.

I'm not seeing that print has a competitive edge. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
She can browse the library of who knows how many books, and download a new book, from almost anywhere, in a matter of seconds. No internet connetion required. And, the books are usually cheaper than printed books. I believe they are usually significantly cheaper. Her account is billed automatically. And you can carry every book you have ever owned or ever will read, in your pocket.

I'm not seeing that print has a competitive edge. :biggrin:

OK, I'm sold. I just checked Kindle for my favourite author, wondering how many of his books might be kindlefied. I found a book that - not only do I not have - but I have not even heard of yet.

DaveC426913 said:
OK, I'm sold. I just checked Kindle for my favourite author, wondering how many of his books might be kindlefied. I found a book that - not only do I not have - but I have not even heard of yet.

:rofl: Yeah, Tsu instantly fell in love with hers. There is another big plus, and this applies especially to old people, so you might want to pay close attention. :uhh: :biggrin: The adjustable font sizes make it much easier to read. The advantage of this is obvious as the vision goes. Tsu's reading time used to be limited by eye strain, but she says this is no longer the case with the adjustable fonts. She broke her hip two years ago and spent most of six weeks reading, ALL day long.

So I assume that they had every other book by your author that you knew about? I know Tsu has been very impressed with the selection available.

Do libraries play a siginificant role any longer, or are they just filling a void during the transition from print to electronic media? I know that right now they provide computer access for many people, but when all of the books have been digitized, and everyone has access to the internet through ten-dollar devices purchased at Radio Shack, will there be any role left for libraries?

How will education change? We are now seeing rapid growth in the online college industry. Will Universities as we know them disappear? Will the college experience itself become a thing of the past, with virtual campuses replacing physical ones? Perhaps loosely associated research centers will comprise the virtual university - a university that has no specific location.

How can we know if information has been accurately preserved?

Ivan Seeking said:
How can we know if information has been accurately preserved?
This is a concern I too have been harbouring.

Last year, my Scuba Club made a huge push of effort and digitized its membership history, going back 25 years. The younger members were planning a big to-do to get rid of the 2 filing cabinets of membership forms in a big document-burning bonfire ceremony.

My sister freaked. Electronic documents go out-of-fashion with advancing technology. You always keep the originals. So now she's the Keeper of the Documents.

DaveC426913 said:
You always keep the originals. So now she's the Keeper of the Documents.

The Banking Industry would give her the title of "Manager of the the Records Department.":smile: How do I know this to be true? It was one of the first jobs I had as a very young woman while attending higher education. I was incharge of creating a department that had never existed in the history of that Savings and Loan. It included retrieval of documents from 150 branches. Ah, the memories of it all ~ One very young woman managing 15 men. That too was groundbreaking history back in the old days. Honestly, it was a great group of people. We got the job done and I moved on.

This topic reminds me of another subject that I need to return. I have an idea that I have been tossing around for a while. Thanks to everyone for your input. :approve:

Last edited:
Do libraries play a siginificant role any longer, or are they just filling a void during the transition from print to electronic media?

I am no longer in that position - but 10 years ago, as a member of a Library borard I was surprised to find that attendance at the facility was actually increasing as computers became more popular. It is not just random computer use that generated this, but events organized by the librarians (author readings etc), but many 'on line' facilities were not actually 'on line' - Some Encyclopedias are on disk and pricy little devils.

As for, from Ivan: How can we know if information has been accurately preserved? There is an article in today's edition that tells how, in Switzerland, the is a cavers that contains instructions and keys to different modes and accesses that may not be available in years to come.

When you talk about as "the death of print," you're likely to garner a bunch of romanticizing about print that leads to new investments in print that are doomed to end up as little more than extra-textual ritualism like gift-giving, book-signings, library-filling, etc. I actually go to the library from time to time and read something off the shelf, but how many "book lovers" really read for the sake of the content and how many read to live their dream that book-life is not dead?

I like my e-book reader. I hope the technology will evolve a bit, I would like better contrast of the display, quasi-instant response to page turns and commands, more mature software allowing better organization of the books stored inside. And yes, COLOR !

Paper print IMO is still a bit more easy to use, faster to lookup indexes and so on.
But the technology of e-readers will surely evolve in the next years to make me feel very comfortable with it's use.

From podcasts to digital tablets, technology is reshaping the way Americans read. As the 2010 Book Expo wraps up in New York, Jeffrey Brown takes a look at emerging technologies and the future of the book...

JEFFREY BROWN: You said at that panel "The book industry is in the first wave of a technological revolution, with the depth and force we haven't experienced since the invention of movable type."

So, that puts it in big historical context. What do you mean?...
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/media/jan-june10/books_05-27.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Tsu has been a Kindle-only reader for two years now. Last week a friend at work loaned her a favorite book. Tsu only lasted a day or two before giving the book back and downloading it instead. She said a real book now seems awkward and relatively difficult to read - the adjustable font size being a major consideration. She said that even having to turn the pages now seems annoying. She kept wanting to push a button.

You can now download free Kindle-for-PC software, that allows for immediate downloads of digital books from Amazon, for your PC. The digitial books appear to be from less than half, to about 70% of the price of a hardcover.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311&tag=pfamazon01-20

I was able to download and install the software, and buy my first book, in about ten minutes. The standard price was listed as about 25 dollars; sales price, $15.99; download, $9.95.

Ivan Seeking said:
You can now download free Kindle-for-PC software, that allows for immediate downloads of digital books from Amazon, for your PC. The digitial books appear to be from less than half, to about 70% of the price of a hardcover.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311&tag=pfamazon01-20

I was able to download and install the software, and buy my first book, in about ten minutes. The standard price was listed as about 25 dollars; sales price, $15.99; download, $9.95.
Any idea about the mobility of the book bits once purchased? That is, could the bits be moved onto a laptop for a road trip or subsequent replacement PC, or must they live only on the original PC host?

mheslep said:
Any idea about the mobility of the book bits once purchased? That is, could the bits be moved onto a laptop for a road trip or subsequent replacement PC, or must they live only on the original PC host?

I think it works the same as the Kindle itself: You can login and download the book as many times as you need [assuming they may set some limit for theft/abuse protection]. I'll try to verify that the next time I log onto my account.

I don't think there is any way to transfer files as they are locked up by the Kindle software. Also, on Tsu's newest Kindle, the memory card is no longer removable. The first generation allowed chip swaps.

Kindle (Latest Generation)
Books can be shared between Kindles, Kindle for PC, or iPhones that are registered to the same account. There may be limits on th number of devices (usually six) that can simultaneously use a single book. Subscriptions to newspapers or periodicals cannot be shared on multiple devices. If you purchased a Kindle (Latest Generation), you can re-download books wirelessly for free, anytime, to your Kindles. We even back up your last page read and annotations, so when you re-download your books you can pick up where you left off with all of your notes still in place...
Amazon page

I don't want to try it yet, but it appears that in order to view the book on another device, I have to unload the book from this pc, place it in the archived items file [all in the kindle-for-pc software, and while online], and then retrieve using another pc or kindle.

I know that Tsu has the ability to download her entire library of purchases if she loses her kindle and gets a new one, but I don't yet see how to do that using the pc software.

Last edited:
Tonight I was telling my sister about the khan Academy and urged her to familiarize her kids with his website. I commented that this may be the future of education - no need for schools and all of the associated problems and expenses. "No schools? No way are my kids all staying home every day!", was her response. :rofl:

1. What is "From Gutenberg to Gates - the death of printed text" about?

"From Gutenberg to Gates - the death of printed text" is a book that explores the evolution of written communication from the invention of the printing press by Johannes Gutenberg to the rise of digital technology and the potential demise of printed text.

2. Who wrote "From Gutenberg to Gates - the death of printed text"?

The book was written by James Carey, a communication scholar and professor at Columbia University.

3. Why is the death of printed text considered a significant event?

The death of printed text is considered significant because it marks a major shift in the way information is created, disseminated, and consumed. It has the potential to drastically change the way we communicate and access knowledge.

4. What are some of the factors contributing to the decline of printed text?

Some factors that have contributed to the decline of printed text include the rise of digital technology, the ease and convenience of accessing information online, environmental concerns, and the changing preferences and habits of readers.

5. Is there still a place for printed text in today's digital world?

While the use of printed text may be declining, it still serves an important purpose in certain contexts. Printed books, for example, are still highly valued for their physical qualities and sentimental value. Additionally, in some rural or underdeveloped areas, digital technology may not be as readily available, making printed text the primary means of communication and access to knowledge.