Is it possible to write pV=nRT as pV=mRT?

• Thread starter superjose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pv=nrt
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula pV = mRT in a hydrology class. One person is confused about the use of R and another provides clarification by explaining it as an alternative way of writing the formula given the mass. They also mention that this is commonly used in climate sciences.
superjose
Hi people. I've been scratching my head for some time now...

My teacher of hydrology class keeps posting pV = mRT and I don't know why he is doing that.

He's trying to get the density of the air.

But I know it should go like this

pV =mRT/M...

Can someone clarify this for me?

:s

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Probably he is using R that is specific for a given gas. Nonsense if you ask me, but I have seen it done in climate sciences.

jedishrfu said:
Apparently its an alternative way of writing the formula given the mass:

http://crown.panam.edu/thermodynamics/homework/javascript/gaslaw1f.htm

and here:

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Related/Thermos/Thermos_Specific_heat.html

Borek said:
Probably he is using R that is specific for a given gas. Nonsense if you ask me, but I have seen it done in climate sciences.

Thanks a lot, it has solved my doubts! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, it is possible to write pV=nRT as pV=mRT. In the ideal gas law, pV=nRT, the variables represent pressure (p), volume (V), number of moles (n), and gas constant (R). However, if we rearrange the equation to solve for mass (m) instead of number of moles, we get pV=mRT. This is because mass and number of moles are directly proportional, and we can use the molar mass (M) of the gas to convert between the two. Therefore, both equations are correct and can be used depending on what information is given and what is being solved for. It is important to understand the concept behind the equation and how the variables are related, rather than just memorizing the equation itself. I would recommend discussing this with your teacher to understand the reasoning behind using pV=mRT in this particular case.

1. What is the significance of writing pV=nRT as pV=mRT?

Writing pV=nRT as pV=mRT is essentially a change in the units used to represent the variables. The first equation uses the number of moles (n) as the unit for the quantity of gas, while the second equation uses the mass (m) of the gas. This can be useful when working with different types of gases or when converting between different units of measurement.

2. Is it mathematically correct to write pV=mRT?

Yes, it is mathematically correct to write pV=mRT. The ideal gas law, pV=nRT, can be rearranged to solve for mass (m) instead of moles (n) by dividing both sides by the molar mass of the gas (M). This results in the equation pV=mRT, where m is the mass, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

3. Can pV=mRT be used for all types of gases?

Yes, pV=mRT can be used for all types of gases as long as the gas follows the ideal gas law. This means that the gas particles are not interacting with each other and that the volume is much larger than the volume of the gas particles. Some real gases may deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures or low temperatures, but for most practical purposes, pV=mRT can be used.

4. How can pV=mRT be applied in real-life situations?

pV=mRT can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in the gas laws used in chemistry and physics. It can also be used in engineering applications, such as designing gas storage tanks or calculating the amount of gas needed for a specific process. Additionally, the ideal gas law is often used in weather forecasting to predict changes in atmospheric pressure.

5. Are there any limitations to using pV=mRT?

One limitation of using pV=mRT is that it assumes that the gas is behaving ideally, which may not always be the case for real gases. As mentioned before, some gases may deviate from the ideal gas law under certain conditions. Additionally, pV=mRT only applies to gases and cannot be used for liquids or solids.