Space generators by temperature difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for using temperature changes in space to generate energy, as well as the feasibility of gathering atoms and molecules from the void of space for use in life support systems. It is noted that while there are some atoms present in space, it is more efficient to recycle them from within a spaceship rather than trying to capture them from the environment. The use of thermocouple generators in space is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a discussion on the density of gas in space, which varies depending on proximity to stars or nebulas.
GreenAce92
This is another theoretical question post of mine.

I read somewhere that there is a huge temperature polar opposite change in space just from shielding ie shadow vs. exposed to sun.

That was because of the absence of an atmosphere or "stuff to keep the heat"

So, pulling numbers from the air, it was like 300C or -200C if it was exposed to the sun or in the shadow.

I was wondering if one were to build generators with spinning gates (open/close) to let in light then not let in light.

Could you build generators from temperature change?

There is the added benefit of no gravity or little anyway

I apologize if I am missing major concepts, I failed thermodynamics after I got into the statistical portion which is not an excuse I basically temporarily lost interest in the subject and did not study.

So perhaps my questions may be deemed unworthy but just for the hell of it, I'd like to ask you guys your thoughts.

Also just to throw it in there

How much "scrap atoms" are there in space

Could you "capture them" in the void blackness of space?

I'm interested in gathering oxygen molecules and such from the outside and then processing them inside for use in life support and what have you.

Is there "nothing" besides dark matter/energy in space? Unless it is in a planet, nebula or galaxy?

Science news on Phys.org
I believe they already do use these thermocouple generators in space. If not from the sun, then from the heat of a nuclear battery.

There aren't very much atoms in space (I don't know exactly how many, but I believe less than in an ultra-high vacuum). There's plenty of oxygen on board a spaceship. The problem is that it combines with other elements as we breathe. However, as long as we don't throw these compounds overboard we can recycle them by breaking them apart again. That's what life support systems already do. It's surely a more efficient way than trying to capture the almost negligible atoms present in space.

Although, the concept has been suggested for powering super-fast spaceships (see Bussard ramjet). I guess the idea was that if going close to the speed of light, even the minute molecules present can be harnessed for some form of space-jet engine. Still, the concept involved using kilometer or thousands-kilometer scoops. It was meant to work in interstellar space, which is even more void than close to earth, but still...

Lsos said:
I believe they already do use these thermocouple generators in space. If not from the sun, then from the heat of a nuclear battery.
Indeed. Voyager spacecraft are powered by these. So these have been used in space at least since the 70s.

GreenAce92 said:
Is there "nothing" besides dark matter/energy in space? Unless it is in a planet, nebula or galaxy?

The density of gas in space varies. Near stars and nebulas you generally have a much higher density compared to intergalactic space. (But still very very very low compared to Earth's atmosphere)

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_space#Environment

1. How do space generators by temperature difference work?

Space generators by temperature difference work by harnessing the temperature difference between the hot surface of a planet or moon and the cold vacuum of space. This temperature difference creates a thermal gradient, which can be converted into usable energy through various methods such as thermoelectric generators or Stirling engines.

2. What are the potential applications of space generators by temperature difference?

The potential applications of space generators by temperature difference include powering spacecraft and satellites, providing energy for future human settlements on other planets or moons, and generating electricity for remote space missions.

3. What are the advantages of using space generators by temperature difference compared to traditional energy sources?

One of the main advantages of space generators by temperature difference is that they do not require any fuel to operate, making them a sustainable and renewable source of energy. Additionally, they can operate in extreme environments and do not produce any harmful emissions.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to using space generators by temperature difference?

One of the main challenges of space generators by temperature difference is the efficiency of converting the thermal gradient into usable energy. The technology is still in its early stages and requires further development and testing. Another limitation is the initial cost of implementing these systems and the need for specialized equipment and materials.

5. What are some current research and developments in the field of space generators by temperature difference?

Currently, research is focused on improving the efficiency and reliability of space generators by temperature difference, as well as exploring new materials and technologies. There is also ongoing research on potential applications in space exploration and settlement, such as using these generators to power habitats or extract resources from other celestial bodies.