Understanding the Limit Comparison Test for Sequences

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the limit comparison test for sequences in solving a specific problem involving two functions. The participants question how the test can be helpful and provide a possible proof for the problem.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

For question 20.16 (a) in this link:

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~johnsonb/Welcome_files/104/104hw7sum06.pdf

I don't understand the last sentence in the solution. How/why does the limit comparison test for sequences tell us that result?

Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Artusartos said:

Homework Statement

For question 20.16 (a) in this link:

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~johnsonb/Welcome_files/104/104hw7sum06.pdf

I don't understand the last sentence in the solution. How/why does the limit comparison test for sequences tell us that result?

Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you have ##f_1(x_n) \leq f_2(x_n) \; \forall n## but ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_1(x_n) > \lim_{n \to \infty} f_2(x_n)?##

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
Can you have ##f_1(x_n) \leq f_2(x_n) \; \forall n## but ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_1(x_n) > \lim_{n \to \infty} f_2(x_n)?##

No but isn't that what we are trying to prove?

Of course, when I think about it, it makes sense. But I can't see any theorem like that in my textbook...

I've been thinking a bit about this, and I'm also curious why the Limit Comparison Test should be helpful.

Isn't the limit comparison test related not just to sequences, but specifically to infinite series? Since we're already told that both [itex]f_1[/itex] and [itex]f_2[/itex] converge to finite values as x->a+, why is it helpful that the LCT should tell us they both converge together?

In the proof provided in the OP's link, I follow most of the author's reasoning. I just don't see how LCT comes into it at all.

If this is not rigorous enough, someone please critique, but I am tempted to just leave it at the following:

Let [itex] \langle x_n \rangle [/itex] be a sequence of elements in (a,b) converging to a.

We know:
[itex] f_1(x_n) \leq f_2(x_n)[/itex], for all n

It must follow that:
[itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} f_1(x_n) \leq \lim_{n \to \infty} f_2(x_n)[/itex]

which, by hypothesis, implies:
[itex] L_1 \leq L_2 [/itex]

-------------------------------------------------

Is this also a satisfactory proof?

Artusartos said:
No but isn't that what we are trying to prove?

Of course, when I think about it, it makes sense. But I can't see any theorem like that in my textbook...

It is probably regarded as obvious; in any case its proof is just about as simple as you can get; just assume the result is false and see what happens.

1. What is analysis?

Analysis is the process of breaking down a complex system or idea into smaller parts to better understand it. It involves examining the individual components and their relationships to each other, as well as identifying patterns and trends. Analysis is commonly used in various fields, including science, mathematics, and business.

2. What are the different types of analysis?

There are several types of analysis, including qualitative analysis, which involves evaluating non-numerical data such as words and images; quantitative analysis, which involves analyzing numerical data using mathematical and statistical methods; and comparative analysis, which involves studying similarities and differences between two or more systems or ideas.

3. What is the purpose of analysis in science?

In science, analysis is used to better understand natural phenomena, make predictions, and support or disprove hypotheses. It helps scientists identify patterns and relationships between variables, and ultimately, gain a deeper understanding of how the world works.

4. What are the steps involved in conducting an analysis?

The specific steps involved in conducting an analysis may vary depending on the type of analysis being performed, but some common steps include: defining the problem or question, collecting relevant data, organizing and categorizing the data, identifying patterns and relationships, drawing conclusions, and communicating the results.

5. How does analysis differ from interpretation?

Analysis involves breaking down a complex system or idea into smaller parts to better understand it, while interpretation involves making sense of the results of the analysis and drawing conclusions based on the data. In other words, analysis is the process of examining the pieces, while interpretation is the process of understanding the bigger picture.