The future methods of generating electricity?

In summary, magnets and coils will be the main methods of electricity generation for the foreseeable future. Solar cells are good for small scale applications, but are not the best option for large scale production. Thermoelectrics could be a way to generate electricity from waste heat, but they are not currently practical.
Miyz
Two main methods of generating electricity that I know off, and that are common:
1 ) Magnets & Coils
2 ) Solar cells.

The only two methods! What do you all think are the possibile future methods?
Are we close? Is there something you recommend me of look at?
I was just thinking of how limited we are in generating electricity, and wondering when the day comes where we are not!

So what do you all think?!

Miyz,

Physics news on Phys.org
Miyz said:
Two main methods of generating electricity that I know off, and that are common:
1 ) Magnets & Coils
2 ) Solar cells.

The only two methods! What do you all think are the possibile future methods?
Are we close? Is there something you recommend me of look at?
I was just thinking of how limited we are in generating electricity, and wondering when the day comes where we are not!

So what do you all think?!

Miyz,
Did you forget the Chemical Method (batteries)?

sophiecentaur said:

Ow yes! Totally slipped my mind.
But other than that! What do you think is possibile in the future? Or what are some project/ideas/theories are being worked at now?

On a very small sscale, you have piezoelectric and triboelectric generation - but don't imagine you could run your car on them!
The other one would be magnetohydrodynamics which, given a massive source of high energy ions, could be 'a goer'.
Wiki can help you with all three.

sophiecentaur said:
The other chemical method: fuel cells.

And thermoelectrics.

How about Hamster Wheels, too?

No. Hamster wheels are prime movers, unless you have electrified hamsters running inside a magnetic cage.

SteamKing said:
No. Hamster wheels are prime movers, unless you have electrified hamsters running inside a magnetic cage.

I'd have the RSPCA down on me like a ton of bricks.

AVE Where an artificial tornado is created with generators at the in let ports just google Atmospheric Vortex Engine

There is also cold fusion

unclebob said:
There is also cold fusion

Fusion alone, cold or not, doesn't generate electricity. If you want electricity from fusion you need magnets and conductors, like always.

ModusPwnd said:
Fusion alone, cold or not, doesn't generate electricity. If you want electricity from fusion you need magnets and conductors, like always.

Magnetohydrodynamics? You could get yourself a plasma easily enough with fusion - but then I suppose the fusion wouldn't be 'cold'.

Maybe. I might just think of that as an exotic form of magnetic fields and conductors though.

Thanks for the info. ModusPwnd your right unless you can capture free electrons. maybe? I guess not as conductiors are still needed. again thanks

Last edited:
In fusion, it should be possible to get the hot helium atoms to flow against a voltage gradient and run into an electrode. The electrons would be steered toward another electrode. This would convert helium kinetic energy into DC electricity fairly directly. You wouldn't need turbines and a heat exchanger.

Ow very very interesting methods!

Yet, do you all think the magnet + conductor method will be replaced? I mean something else would be more useful and sufficient?

The future always has promising innovation, but I personally believe this method will stick with us for a very long time.

Khashishi said:
In fusion, it should be possible to get the hot helium atoms to flow against a voltage gradient and run into an electrode. The electrons would be steered toward another electrode. This would convert helium kinetic energy into DC electricity fairly directly. You wouldn't need turbines and a heat exchanger.

Thanks guy for all of your responses it has been very enlightening. uncle bob

I haven't seen thermocouples mentioned.

Miyz said:
Yet, do you all think the magnet + conductor method will be replaced? I mean something else would be more useful and sufficient?

The future always has promising innovation, but I personally believe this method will stick with us for a very long time.

Yep. You've got it about right, I think. Unless we ever have a surfeit of lemons with zinc and carbon rods.

Piezoelectric strips on car tires, rather than in roads?

If it reduces your mpg (which it would have to, to produce appreciable amounts of energy), would there be any point?

sophiecentaur said:
If it reduces your mpg (which it would have to, to produce appreciable amounts of energy), would there be any point?

So true. It would probably waste more energy than create it as well. Another kind of perpetual motion machine baloney. Thanks for confirming.

It made me think of those flashing trainers that kids wear - but I believe they have batteries in them - what a waste. It would wear the little darlings out quicker if they actually needed to supply the energy from their own muscles.

Some of you mentioned the fusion and magnetohydrodynamics things here , well I personally think it could be a good thing if only we could learn to achieve the first thing the fusion itself and sustain it for considerable amounts of time.
When the hot ions would pass through coils that would generate electricity also the method about the helium atoms and DC which was mentioned here sounds interesting although haven't read on that one.
Because on the current technology we are actually wasting a lot of energy that we just can't get like an average RBMK or other nuclear fission reactor is rated at maximum thermal power of about 3000MW of which only about 1000mw is the maximum electricity produced I think mainly due to the water/steam/turbine 30/40% efficiency level.
I think with the MHD that generates electricity directly from the plasma charge we could get better efficiency ratings.

Well there is really only a few major types of energy
Mechanical, Electric, Electromagnetic, Magnetic, Nuclear, and Thermal
There will be a limited number of conversions because there is a limited number of energies.

1. What are the most promising renewable energy sources for generating electricity in the future?

Currently, the most promising renewable energy sources for generating electricity in the future include solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass. These sources are abundant, clean, and have the potential to meet the world's energy demands without depleting natural resources.

2. How will advancements in technology impact the future methods of generating electricity?

Advancements in technology, such as the development of more efficient solar panels and wind turbines, will greatly impact the future methods of generating electricity. These advancements will make renewable energy sources more affordable and accessible, leading to a decrease in the use of fossil fuels.

3. Will nuclear energy continue to be a major source of electricity in the future?

While nuclear energy currently accounts for a significant portion of electricity generation, it is not expected to be a major source in the future due to safety concerns and the high cost of building and maintaining nuclear power plants. However, advancements in technology may make nuclear energy a more viable option in the future.

4. How will energy storage solutions play a role in future electricity generation?

Energy storage solutions, such as batteries and pumped hydro storage, will play a crucial role in future electricity generation. These technologies will allow for the storage of excess energy generated from renewable sources, making them more reliable and consistent sources of electricity.

5. What are some potential challenges and obstacles for implementing new methods of generating electricity in the future?

Some potential challenges and obstacles for implementing new methods of generating electricity in the future include the high upfront costs of building renewable energy infrastructure, the need for efficient energy storage solutions, and potential resistance from established energy companies and industries. Additionally, there may be difficulties in transitioning to new technologies and systems, and addressing potential environmental impacts.