Can old neodymium magnets be recycled?

In summary, recycling old neodymium magnets can create new magnets with the same properties as the original magnets.
wmingin
Can old neodymium magnets be crushed to a powder and re-sintered into new shapes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't see why not - by some process. The real question is: "is it cost effective to do so?"

Sure. Question is about goal and amounts.

"Crashing" has meaning if only you can't buy thin NdFeB powder.

It's not brittle enough for direct crushing.
Grinding solid magnet will consume a lot of abrasives, need in-liquid grinding or inert atmosphere to avoid burning, will complicate sintering due to a bigger fragment sizes, and product will be more porous than original.

Last edited:
Thank You for responding.

With China restricting export of neodymium ore, I was wondering if recycling old magnets offered an opportunity.

Could they be melted and recast?

Regards,

Bill

Yes, it can be melted. But I'm not sure about casting idea.

Sintering is not only about process simplification, there is some meaning to make it ceramic.
Otherwise, why they first melt this, disperse to the powder, and later sintering

http://www.ndfeb-info.com/neodymium_magnets_made.aspx

Thank you Graniar.

I enjoyed the link.

By the way... I would like to know what keeps the hydrogen from igniting when

metals are smelted in a hydrogen atmosphere.

Anybody?

Thanks!

B.

Ignite with what? There is no oxygen to react with.
React with the metals? Might depend on the metals.

How stupid of me.

I forgot that without oxygen, hydrogen won't burn.

Sorry to waste your time.

B.

wmingin said:
Thank You for responding.
With China restricting export of neodymium ore, I was wondering if recycling old magnets offered an opportunity.
Could they be melted and recast?

There is some research done on that. Here's an example

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121024175520.htm

Scientists at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Ames Laboratory are working to more effectively remove the neodymium, a rare Earth element, from the mix of other materials in a magnet. Initial results show recycled materials maintain the properties that make rare-earth magnets useful.
[more at the link]

Very Interesting!
Thank You SredniVashtar

nice. seems like this could really help out the case for electric cars.
although recycling lithium batteries might be even more important.

I think it does be possible.
But you can not get same strong magnet.
The property will be much weaker.

for old neodymium magnets, it's useful for rare Earth element recovery

1. Can old neodymium magnets be recycled?

Yes, old neodymium magnets can be recycled. In fact, recycling is the most environmentally friendly way to dispose of them.

2. Why should I recycle old neodymium magnets?

Recycling old neodymium magnets helps to conserve natural resources and reduces the amount of waste in landfills. It also reduces the need for new mining, which can have negative impacts on the environment.

3. How are old neodymium magnets recycled?

Old neodymium magnets can be recycled by separating them from other materials and melting them down to their original form. The recycled material can then be used to create new magnets or other products.

4. Are there any benefits to recycling old neodymium magnets?

Aside from the environmental benefits, recycling old neodymium magnets also helps to reduce the cost of producing new magnets. It also reduces the demand for mining, which can be a costly and environmentally damaging process.

5. What should I do with my old neodymium magnets if I can't recycle them?

If you are unable to recycle your old neodymium magnets, it is important to dispose of them properly. You can contact your local waste management company to find out if they have a program for hazardous materials, or you can contact a specialized recycling facility to properly dispose of them.