Trying to understand granular physics (includes fluid physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in the behavior of granules when subjected to forces, particularly in the context of gold panning and erosion. They express difficulty in understanding and calculating drag and friction forces, and mention wanting more resources to learn about this topic. They also mention uncertainty about how to calculate the effects of turbulent forces on objects in a river.
EPhantom
So I want to know what happens when granules are subjected to forces while around other varieties of granules. My interest comes from two places, wanting to gold pan, and how sand surfaces from dirt at the edges of buildings.

It doesn't make too much sense to me right now, I'm just having a hard time imagining all the forces, and was never taught how to calculate drag and friction forces for fluids. So... I am not so sure where exactly i should start. I know I have drag, friction, boyancy, density, volume, and gravity to calculate.

Another thing is I don't know how to figure out how fast or far a turbulent force will go. Say... I have a cube stone in a flat river, how would the water react? :confused:

If possible I would more like a place that will explain some of this stuff than bother everyone here with all these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
EPhantom said:
So I want to know what happens when granules are subjected to forces while around other varieties of granules. My interest comes from two places, wanting to gold pan, and how sand surfaces from dirt at the edges of buildings.

It doesn't make too much sense to me right now, I'm just having a hard time imagining all the forces, and was never taught how to calculate drag and friction forces for fluids. So... I am not so sure where exactly i should start. I know I have drag, friction, boyancy, density, volume, and gravity to calculate.

Are you trying to understand the contact force between two grains, or the dynamics of granular flow?

http://mrsec.uchicago.edu/research/highlights/granular-flow
http://physics.aps.org/articles/v4/86

EPhantom said:
Another thing is I don't know how to figure out how fast or far a turbulent force will go. Say... I have a cube stone in a flat river, how would the water react? :confused:

I'm not sure what you mean- do you refer to the turbulent wake behind an object?

1. What is granular physics?

Granular physics is the study of the behavior of granular materials, which are collections of solid particles such as sand, grains, or powders. It encompasses both the mechanical properties of these materials, such as how they flow and deform, as well as their interactions with fluids.

2. How is granular physics different from fluid physics?

Granular physics is focused on the behavior of granular materials, which are made up of discrete solid particles, while fluid physics is concerned with the behavior of continuous fluids. However, there is significant overlap between the two fields, as granular materials can exhibit both solid-like and fluid-like behaviors depending on their density and the forces acting on them.

3. Why is understanding granular physics important?

Granular materials are found in a wide range of natural and industrial processes, such as landslides, avalanches, and the flow of grains in agricultural and pharmaceutical industries. Understanding their behavior is crucial for predicting and mitigating potential hazards, as well as optimizing industrial processes.

4. What are some current challenges in understanding granular physics?

One of the main challenges in granular physics is the complex and unpredictable nature of granular materials. Their behavior is influenced by a multitude of factors, such as particle size, shape, and interactions, which can make it difficult to develop generalizable theories and models. Additionally, experimental techniques for studying granular materials are still limited, making it challenging to accurately measure and analyze their properties.

5. How is granular physics being applied in real-world applications?

Granular physics has numerous applications in industries such as agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and mining, where the flow and behavior of granular materials are critical for production processes. It is also being studied for its potential applications in robotics, soft robotics, and self-organizing systems. Additionally, understanding granular physics can help improve natural disaster prediction and prevention, such as landslides and avalanches.