A new thermodynamic theory of life

In summary, a new thermodynamic theory of life proposes that under certain conditions, matter can acquire the key physical attribute associated with life by restructuring itself in order to dissipate more energy. This idea is based on established physics and has been explored in a peer-reviewed paper published in AIP: Journal of Chemical Physics. The potential implications of this theory have sparked interest and ongoing research. Additionally, the endosymbiotic theory, which explains the role of internal organelles in cells, is also of relevance to this theory.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
A "new" thermodynamic theory of life

Interesting idea...

The formula, based on established physics, indicates that when a group of atoms is driven by an external source of energy (like the sun or chemical fuel) and surrounded by a heat bath (like the ocean or atmosphere), it will often gradually restructure itself in order to dissipate increasingly more energy. This could mean that under certain conditions, matter inexorably acquires the key physical attribute associated with life.

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20140122-a-new-physics-theory-of-life/

The peer-reviewed paper, published in AIP: Journal of Chemical Physics:

Statistical physics of self-replication
http://www.englandlab.com/uploads/7/8/0/3/7803054/2013jcpsrep.pdf

Likes Skarzynski and quarkle
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, but (I think) more generally, about how organized structure can emerge from ensembles of matter.

If this were true, it would be massively important. I am very curious to see how the experiments the one guy is thinking of turn out.

... living things ... tend to be much better at capturing energy from their environment and dissipating that energy as heat.

Does this mean that we are the peak of evolutionary radiators?

Anyways, I agree. This is interesting.

------------------------------
ps. I would like to thank the PF gods for getting rid of the philosophy forum before this revelation was presented.

Your bump reminded me of this paper, so I employed an ancient technique:

1) go to Google Scholar and search for the paper by title
2) click "cited by" link under the paper's entry
3) (optional) check the box to "limit search results"
4) (optional) search for Author's name to see cases of him citing himself

This should give you an indication in any progress he's made or collaborations he's done since. Here's the two hits that stood out to me just by title:

Dissipative adaptation in driven self-assembly
https://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v10/n11/abs/nnano.2015.250.html
Statistical Physics of Adaptation
https://journals.aps.org/prx/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevX.6.021036

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Here is a list of England's publications from his academic website.
Included there are links to drafts of papers in press.
Other parts of the website include the research interests of the lab.

Likes Pythagorean, jim mcnamara and Greg Bernhardt
The internal organelles play a greater role within a cell. The endosymbiotic theory is of interest to me:
upload_2017-7-10_6-26-10.png

1. What is a thermodynamic theory of life?

A thermodynamic theory of life is a scientific explanation for the origin and maintenance of life on Earth based on the fundamental laws of thermodynamics. It proposes that life is a natural consequence of the physical laws governing the universe and that living systems are highly efficient at utilizing and transforming energy.

2. How does this theory differ from other theories of life?

This theory differs from other theories of life, such as evolutionary theory or creationism, by focusing on the role of energy in the origin and evolution of life. It also takes a more holistic approach, considering the entire universe and its physical laws rather than just the Earth and its biological processes.

3. What evidence supports this theory?

There is growing evidence from various fields, including biology, physics, and chemistry, that supports the thermodynamic theory of life. This includes studies of the efficiency and complexity of living systems, as well as observations of the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How does this theory explain the diversity of life on Earth?

This theory suggests that the diversity of life on Earth is a result of the different ways in which living systems have evolved to efficiently utilize and transform energy. It also takes into account the role of environmental factors and the concept of natural selection in shaping the development of life.

5. Does this theory have any practical applications?

While this theory is still in its early stages of development, it has the potential to inform our understanding of complex biological systems and could have practical applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and energy production. It may also provide insights into the search for life on other planets and the possibility of extraterrestrial life.