Trignometric simple function:-

• Thread starter Huygen121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: The negative axis allows us to graph and visualize quantities that are below zero, such as negative temperatures or negative distances. It is simply a representation of the number line extended in both directions. In summary, the conversation discusses the relation y=tanx and its domain, which includes all real numbers except for certain values that would result in undefined values for the tangent function. The concept of negative angles is also brought up, and an example is given to illustrate how the tangent of a negative angle can be negative. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of negative numbers in graphs and how they allow for the visualization of quantities below zero.
Huygen121
Can you please tell me the reason behind this relation:-

y=tanx

Domain:-

R-{(n*180) + 180/2),n ε Z(integers))}

but how can n belong to integer because if n belong to integer than an angle would be negative and i don't think so that negative angles are there,i think that in place of (integers),natural nos. should come.but why they don't put natural nos. in place of integers,there??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Of course there are negative angles. All trig functions extend infinitely in the positive and negative directions.

can you give me an example related to it by just using the tan x and putting value in it?

can the tan of an angle be negative,if so,then how?

Huygen121 said:
can you give me an example related to it by just using the tan x and putting value in it?

You can use a calculator. Select degree mode if needed. Input -45. Press TAN. The result should be -1.

Physically, this would correspond to pointing your arm at an object that is 100 feet away horizontally and 100 feet down vertically. The angle is 45 degrees below horizontal and the tangent of the angle is the result of dividing the opposite side (-100 feet vertical) by the adjacent side (100 feet horizontal).

jbriggs444 said:
You can use a calculator. Select degree mode if needed. Input -45. Press TAN. The result should be -1.

Physically, this would correspond to pointing your arm at an object that is 100 feet away horizontally and 100 feet down vertically. The angle is 45 degrees below horizontal and the tangent of the angle is the result of dividing the opposite side (-100 feet vertical) by the adjacent side (100 feet horizontal).

but what exactly (-) minus sign indicates as we know dimensions are same to + angle ?

Huygen121 said:
can the tan of an angle be negative,if so,then how?
Because an angle can be negative. An angle is defined by two rays that extend from a common point. In mathematics, the starting ray usually extends out along the x-axis. If you rotate a terminal ray counterclockwise, you get a positive angle. If you rotate the terminal ray clockwise, you get a negative angle.

Mark44 said:
Because an angle can be negative. An angle is defined by two rays that extend from a common point. In mathematics, the starting ray usually extends out along the x-axis. If you rotate a terminal ray counterclockwise, you get a positive angle. If you rotate the terminal ray clockwise, you get a negative angle.

can quadrants represent direction?

what is the use of negative axis in graph? simple question and it will clear my all doubts

Huygen121 said:
what is the use of negative axis in graph? simple question and it will clear my all doubts

It sounds as though you have a problem with negative numbers in general. The negative axis on a graph is there because negative numbers exist as much as the positive numbers exist.

1. What is a trignometric function?

A trignometric function is a mathematical function that relates an angle of a right triangle to the ratios of its sides. These functions include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

2. How are trignometric functions used?

Trignometric functions are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to model periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it related to trignometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used to visualize and understand the values of trignometric functions. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine of the corresponding angle, and the y-coordinate represents the sine.

4. How do you solve a trignometric equation or identity?

To solve a trignometric equation or identity, you can use algebraic manipulation and the properties of trignometric functions, such as the Pythagorean identity and the sum and difference formulas. Graphing and using a calculator can also be helpful in solving these equations.

5. Are there real-life applications of trignometric functions?

Yes, trignometric functions have many real-life applications. For example, they are used in navigation and cartography to determine distances and angles. They are also used in music and sound engineering to model and analyze sound waves. In addition, they are used in astronomy to calculate the positions and movements of celestial bodies.