What has been the most important lesson(s) you have learned in your life?

In summary, members of a forum chat about important lessons in life, such as listening to your parents, always being cautious of belief, trusting your instincts, and not losing your temper. They also discuss the relationship between effort and results and the idea of infatuation in relation to belief. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of being mindful and making wise decisions in life.
sebas531
Everyday I try to do some changes in order to have a better life. I would like to know what has been the most important lesson(s) that pf members have learned throught their lifes.

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
No matter how drunk you are, never piss on an electric fence.

Likes cnh1995
try to study the night b4 the test when you are drunk may just work!

actually that is not true at all. I failed my test.

Results are usually a direct measure of effort.

Ivan Seeking said:
Results are usually a direct measure of effort.

That is very true. It always follows the general law, results*effort=constant.

Always listen to your parents. Not for everyone, but mine were usually always correct.

Likes fireflies
Rach3 said:
That is very true. It always follows the general law, results*effort=constant.
:uhh: Erm, that would make results inversely proportional to effort.

Enough courage to face the difficult issues in life. Enough fear of the difficult issues in life to make sure you know what you're doing before you face them.

Edit: Oh, and to echo Candyman, always listen to your parents. They're usually right. (This is something that seems to have developed only over the last twenty years - perhaps humans are evolving faster than we think? :uhh:)

Last edited:
Likes gracy
Perhaps Results = f(Effort).

Astronuc said:
Perhaps Results = f(Effort).

Perhaps Results = f(Effort)
(Perhaps Results)/Effort = f
Results/Effort = f
Results/Effort = time?
dunno. (yeah, what is f?)
Astronuc, help solve the equation :)

Last edited:
If you get out of bed in the morning, you have to do some thing.

Likes gracy
To not decide is to decide.

Don't let people push you around, ever.

And what Ivan said too.

BobG said:
Edit: Oh, and to echo Candyman, always listen to your parents. They're usually right. (This is something that seems to have developed only over the last twenty years - perhaps humans are evolving faster than we think? :uhh:)

:rofl: :rofl:

You don't believe in things because they're true. You believe in things because for you they are worth believing in. That is the nature of belief.

Your problems are your own. Don't expect anyone to help you solve them. If someone DOES help you, make sure and show your gratitude and be sincere about it.

Eat crow when it's warm.

Be mindful of what you say and do. The guy I... I mean someone yelled at for taking his time crossing the street as you screech into the parking lot because you are late for class might be next semesters Calc2 Prof.:redface:

You don't believe in things because they're true. You believe in things because for you they are worth believing in. That is the nature of belief.

A big downside of belief is that it involves being blindsided to some extent, which can be detrimental. Especially on a smaller scale (not for example, the issue of the existence of God). People who have truly learned the lesson of life should be familiar with this lesson. That is belief is ultimately dangerous, but it is necessary to live, to have a purpose of some sort (however, short lived).

As for the "bigger scale aspect" of belief, make sure that it's not infatuation.

To trust my instincts and not be pressured into doing something I know I'm not ready for. Just learned that lesson. :frown:

Likes gracy
If you are making a major decision, and a little voice is saying "no," listen to it.

Losing your temper means you "lost." Never berate anyone, no matter how "right" you are.

Take a healthy interest in other people's doings.

Likes gracy and fireflies
heartless said:
Perhaps Results = f(Effort)
(Perhaps Results)/Effort = f
Results/Effort = f
Results/Effort = time?
dunno. (yeah, what is f?)
Astronuc, help solve the equation :)

Results = f(Effort) should be read 'Results equals (is) a function f of Effort", or "f maps effort into results". I am not up on the formalisms of mathematical language.

For me math is pretty much a tool which I use to grind the answer out of the data. :rofl:

Astronuc said:
Results = f(Effort) should be read 'Results equals (is) a function f of Effort", or "f maps effort into results". I am not up on the formalisms of mathematical language.

For me math is pretty much a tool which I use to grind the answer out of the data. :rofl:

f(Effort) = Results
No matter how much effort you put, you're going to get results perhaps?
Oh Astronuc, decipher this for me. I can't, with my dumb math skills.

GCT said:
A big downside of belief is that it involves being blindsided to some extent, which can be detrimental. Especially on a smaller scale (not for example, the issue of the existence of God). People who have truly learned the lesson of life should be familiar with this lesson. That is belief is ultimately dangerous, but it is necessary to live, to have a purpose of some sort (however, short lived).

As for the "bigger scale aspect" of belief, make sure that it's not infatuation.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

A person should at least know what things they believe in just out of faith and what things they believe in because of experience and logic. No matter how long you analyze some things, you wind up stuck on arguments based on personal values rather objective evidence. I think those are the type of things the author of the quote was referring to.

Of course, if a person believes in something just because they were trained to believe in it and can't remember ever not believing in it, then there are some rather obvious pitfalls. People can ignore some pretty obvious evidence for those types of beliefs.

Results = k*F(Effort) + c*F(Effort/t)

where k is the race/background, and c is the type of a job, and t is time

Tomorrow is not guaranteed no matter how young you are...I learned that lesson the hard way.

Lifes to short

That great achievements is always up to perserverence, hard work and consistency in quality.

Also that in science, the way to not become a hogwash is to allow experiments guide you every step of the way.

Oh, and that NOTHING should be a joke.

Last edited:
Bladibla said:
Also that in science, the way to not become a hogwash is to allow experiments guide you every step of the way.

What should the theorists do, despair?

Never underestimate the power of hard work.

Heaven is other people.

(note: this means actual people you are with. Correspondents don't count).

Expect perfection from yourself, and miserable failure from those around you.

GCT said:

Thats only blind belief. You misunderstand me completely. I said that one should believe in things worth believing in, not things one knows to be true. This implies that one knows there is a perfectly good chance your beliefs are wrong, and you acknowledge this, but believe them anyway because they are worthwhile.

I believe I can accomplaish anything I choose to. Not because I actually can, but because doing so motivates me to at least try.

Thats only blind belief. You misunderstand me completely. I said that one should believe in things worth believing in, not things one knows to be true. This implies that one knows there is a perfectly good chance your beliefs are wrong, and you acknowledge this, but believe them anyway because they are worthwhile.

good point, that's another way to put it. One needs believe in order to be motivated, belief is what provides the direction, the extended motivation for things. However, its a weakness, and I think that one comes to realize this sufficiently depending one's capabilities.

We have to believe to some degree to move forward. One has to base his/her strategy in what he/she believes to be true, but there isn't a single strategy that will ever work. That this there's a lot of room for improvement, but it comes with experience.

To believe in something is to always be blindsided to some aspect, no matter how small of a belief it may be. This is one of the many important lessons I've established upon graduating from college (undergrad).

And thus I should stop arguing about this topic before it creeps up on me to become established as a stronger belief:)

To trust my instincts and not be pressured into doing something I know I'm not ready for. Just learned that lesson.

Yeah, I've learned just how important this point is. We all want a more excitement out of life, and when other people's comments go somewhat along the lines with our own expectations as well as fears, it becomes very easy to do something completely stupid. It's tempting at times, especially if life doesn't turn out that perfectly, one can become tempted to make a irrational and dangerous move, especially if one is quick tempered.

If you are making a major decision, and a little voice is saying "no," listen to it.

Losing your temper means you "lost." Never berate anyone, no matter how "right" you are.

Take a healthy interest in other people's doings.

this is another one I can relate to.

Don't be pressured into making a promise you can't keep

Honesty and curiosity are undervalued assets

What goes around comes around

Never accept without first questioning

First impressions count

All girls are evil

If you don't get hangovers you're not drinking enough

Covet those that deliver what you want, and pour fire and brim stone over those that do not.

I've learned that expensive things eventually break. It takes a lot of work to keep things running. If you're not willing to do the work to fix it, then don't buy it.

Well, I was reading a thread and I read this guy's story and I thought it woudl be nice to post it here.
Curious3141 said:
Good luck, but are you sure you want to do Medicine?

Think hard. I'm not discouraging you, I just want you to be sure you're doing something you really love and want to toil at for the rest of your life. I kind of went with what my parents wanted for me, and I've regretted it nearly every day since. I've left Clinical Medicine now and am doing something more lab related. That's what happens to a lot of bright guys who enter Med for the wrong reasons - they end up in Pathology or Radiology, or leave Medicine entirely, which is a great waste of time.

I know I'd be a lot happier if I had pursued a career rooted in the Physical Sciences instead. I had admission to Caltech to do Elect Engineering, but decided to make my parents happy by entering Medicine locally. Big mistake.