How to calculate the current in a discharge circuit after a certain time?

In summary, the student has been unable to solve equations involving the time constant t and has been unable to find information on the equation I = I_{0}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}.
smileandbehappy
Hi, I have been set a sheet of questions for homework and there are two which I cannot do. Any help you could give would be greatly appretiated.

1)
The time constant "t" of the discharge of a capacitance C through a resistacne R is given by: t = RC.

Show that the unity of quantity RC is seconds.

I have tried doing this but keep getting into cycles of inputting equations into it and just going around in circles.

2) This is a two part question and I have done the first part.

Circuit diagram showing: 6V potential difference, 4700*10^-6F capacitor, 5.6*10^-3 ohm resistor resistor.

a) Show that the initial value of the discharge current is about 1mA

I = V/R

I = 6/(5.6*10^-3)

I = 1.071*10^-3A

b) The time constant RC of the discharge circuit is about 26s.

Calculate the current in the discharge circuit after the switch has been fora time equal to RC.

I don't have a clue how to do this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forums,
smileandbehappy said:
1)I have tried doing this but keep getting into cycles of inputting equations into it and just going around in circles.

Okay, start with the basic equations for capacitance and resistance;

[tex]R = \frac{V}{I}[/tex]

[tex]C = \frac{Q}{V}[/tex]

Now using the fact that current is the rate of flow of charge ([itex]I = \frac{Q}{t}[/itex]) can you eliminate the current (I) from the first equation?
smileandbehappy said:
2) This is a two part question and I have done the first part.
I don't have a clue how to do this!
Do you know the definition of the time constant?

"Do you know the definition of the time constant?"

No.

smileandbehappy said:
"Do you know the definition of the time constant?"

No.
Okay, do you know any equations involving the time constant (besides t = RC)?

"Okay, do you know any equations involving the time constant (besides t = RC)?"

No sorry - t=RC is the only one given in the question.

smileandbehappy said:
"Okay, do you know any equations involving the time constant (besides t = RC)?"

No sorry - t=RC is the only one given in the question.
Okay, well in this case the equation you need to know is;

[tex]I = I_{0}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]

Where I is the current at time t and I0is the intial current value. Has your tutor not given you this information?

Hootenanny said:
Okay, well in this case the equation you need to know is;

[tex]I = I_{0}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex]

Where I is the current at time t and I0is the intial current value. Has your tutor not given you this information?

No. I have never been shown this equation beofre either. Thanks for all your help, but I think it would be best if I went and asked tomorrow, because I think he may have made a mistake.

smileandbehappy said:
No. I have never been shown this equation beofre either. Thanks for all your help, but I think it would be best if I went and asked tomorrow, because I think he may have made a mistake.
No problem. Have you any thoughts on the first problem?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of microscopic particles. Classical mechanics follows the laws of motion and gravity described by Isaac Newton, while quantum mechanics follows the probabilistic behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that the more precisely we know one of these properties, the less precisely we know the other. This principle has a fundamental impact on our understanding of the physical world, as it shows that there are inherent limits to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles.

3. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to physics?

The theory of relativity is a set of two theories (special and general relativity) developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. These theories describe how the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. The theory of relativity has had a profound impact on physics, particularly in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds and in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

4. Can you explain the concept of energy and its role in physics?

Energy is a fundamental concept in physics that refers to the ability of a system to do work. It exists in many forms, such as kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), and thermal energy (heat). The laws of physics dictate that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

5. What is the significance of the speed of light in physics?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in physics with a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. The speed of light plays a crucial role in many physical theories, including the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.