(C[0,1],|| ||2) is a complete metric space

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving or disproving that (C[0,1], || ||2) is a complete metric space. The definition of C[0,1] and || ||2 is given, and the attempt at a solution involves showing that Cauchy sequences of continuous functions converge. An example of a Cauchy sequence of functions whose limit is not continuous is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a clarification of the definition of || ||2 and the realization that the issue was related to the infinite case.
catcherintherye

Homework Statement

I am required to show that (C[0,1], || ||2) is a complete metric space, or to disprove that it is

Homework Equations

C[0,1] is the set of continuous functions on the bounded interval 0,1

The Attempt at a Solution

I am immediately confused as I am told in my notes that if every cauchy sequence from X converges then (X,d) is a complete metric space, but I find it hard to see that there clould exist a divergent cauch sequencey since cauchy sequences are all convergent right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cauchy sequences converge, but not necessarily to something in the space (every metric space has a completion in which every cauchy sequence converges, and which the original metric space is a dense subset of). Can you find a cauchy sequence of continuous functions whose limit isn't continuous?

would such an example be the sequence of spike functions? i.e the sequence of functions gn on [0,1] for which gn(x) is n2x when x is in [0,1/n], n(2-nx) when x is in [1/n,2/n] and zero elsewhere. The pointwise limit of gn(x) is always zero (x=0 included, since gn(0)=0 for any n). Yet, the integral of gn is always equal to 1,

catcherintherye said:

Homework Statement

I am required to show that (C[0,1], || ||2) is a complete metric space, or to disprove that it is

Homework Equations

C[0,1] is the set of continuous functions on the bounded interval 0,1

The Attempt at a Solution

I am immediately confused as I am told in my notes that if every cauchy sequence from X converges then (X,d) is a complete metric space, but I find it hard to see that there clould exist a divergent cauch sequencey since cauchy sequences are all convergent right?

Cauchy sequences in a complete metric space converge- that's the definition of "complete"!

Perhaps you are thinking of the fact that Cauchy sequences of real numbers converge- the real numbers with the "usual" metric is complete.

Here, your metric space is functions continuous on [0,1] so your "Cauchy sequences" are sequences of continuous functions. You need to show that Cauchy sequence of continuous functions converge. What is the precise definition of || ||2 ?

|| ||2 is the 2-norm so ||f||2 =the square root of the integral from 0 to 1 of [f(x)^2]dx

That finally dawned on me! I was thinking of the infinite case where continuous function may not be square integrable.

1. What is a complete metric space?

A complete metric space is a mathematical concept used in the field of topology to describe a space in which all Cauchy sequences converge. In simpler terms, it is a space where every sequence of points that get closer and closer together eventually converges to a point within the space.

2. What is the significance of a complete metric space?

The completeness of a metric space is important because it guarantees that all Cauchy sequences within the space have a limit. This allows for the space to be used in a variety of mathematical and scientific applications, including analysis, differential equations, and optimization problems.

3. How is completeness of (C[0,1],|| ||2) proven?

The completeness of (C[0,1],|| ||2) can be proven using the definition of a complete metric space, which states that all Cauchy sequences within the space converge to a point within the space. This can be shown by using the Cauchy convergence criterion and the completeness of the space's underlying field of real numbers.

4. What are some examples of complete metric spaces?

Some examples of complete metric spaces include the real numbers with the standard Euclidean distance, the space of continuous functions on a closed interval with the supremum norm, and the space of square-integrable functions with the L2 norm. These spaces are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

5. How is completeness of a metric space related to compactness?

Completeness and compactness are two related concepts in topology. A metric space is said to be compact if it is both complete and totally bounded, meaning that every sequence within the space has a convergent subsequence. In other words, completeness is a necessary condition for a metric space to be compact.