Can Sperm Survive Long Enough to Fertilize an Egg Inside the Vagina?

• Medical
  • Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the survival of sperm after ejaculation can vary depending on the situation, but they can potentially survive for up to 3 days in the female reproductive tract. The key factor is whether the ejaculatory fluids remain intact, as they provide a suitable environment for the sperm to survive and potentially fertilize an egg. However, other factors such as the amount of transfer and degree of penetration can greatly impact the probability of fertilization. Additionally, sperm must undergo a process called capacitation in the female reproductive fluids in order to have the ability to fertilize an egg.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Say, hypothetically, that I ejaculate on a hand, and 5 minutes later, said hand is introduced in a vagina. Are the sperms dead by that time?

Thx

Biology news on Phys.org
Doubtful. It is more like little less than a few hours.

Okay, are you hypothetically retaining the sperm within the ejaculatory fluid, or are you hypothetically wiping most of the fluid away and concerned about the survival of the remaining sperm? Dessication (drying away the fluids) would substantially reduce the survival time. However, in the ejaculatory fluids, or once transferred into the female reproductive tract, sperm can live for several days (about 3 days on average).

Hypothetically, one would be best off washing their hands in such a situation. :wink:

As Moonbear points out, the key factor is whether the ejaculatory fluids remain intact. The sperm will survive in it.

Now, there are other practical factors in play, such as amount of transfer, degree of penetration and such, which will dramatically cut down the odds (of fertilization - which, I presume is the issue here), but the odds are definitely not zero.

Hypothetically.

Ok, that helps a lot.

Basically, since most of the fluid was wiped away and the rest had plenty of time to dry in 5 minutes, a great deal of sperms died. But, since they probably did not all die, and those that made it into the vagina can survive for 3 days, the probability of fertilization is non zero.

And a side question: The way it works is that sperms are shot in the vagina embedded in their ejaculatory fluid. Once inside, however, they must exist this fluid and into some other vaginal fluid, in which they can survive just as well, that paves the way to the ovaries. Correct?

quasar987 said:
Ok, that helps a lot.

Basically, since most of the fluid was wiped away and the rest had plenty of time to dry in 5 minutes, a great deal of sperms died. But, since they probably did not all die, and those that made it into the vagina can survive for 3 days, the probability of fertilization is non zero.

And a side question: The way it works is that sperms are shot in the vagina embedded in their ejaculatory fluid. Once inside, however, they must exist this fluid and into some other vaginal fluid, in which they can survive just as well, that paves the way to the ovaries. Correct?

Basically, yes. The process is a little complex, environments acting partly to stymie the invaders and partly acting to aid them, but yes.

I thought they died straight away! :biggrin:

How long sperm live is up to the male. I guess it's all down to luck... :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
J77 said:
I thought they died straight away! :biggrin:

I guess it's all down to luck... :tongue:
I rather suspect quasar isn't smiling.

DaveC426913 said:
I rather suspect quasar isn't smiling.
If he's worried that much, he should logout and get down the chemist... :tongue:

quasar987 said:

Pretty much. The ejaculatory fluid actually needs to be diluted by the vaginal/uterine fluids for a process called capacitation to take effect (something in semen is an inhibitor of this process). Capacitation is a change in the head of the sperm that gives it the ability to penetrate through the membrane of an ovum and fertilize it (primarily an enzymatic process).

What is the average lifespan of a sperm?

The average lifespan of a sperm is about 3-5 days. However, it can survive inside the female reproductive tract for up to 5 days under ideal conditions.

Can sperm survive outside of the body?

No, sperm cannot survive outside of the body. They require a warm and moist environment to survive, which is only present in the female reproductive tract.

How long can sperm survive inside the female reproductive tract?

Sperm can survive inside the female reproductive tract for up to 5 days. However, this is only possible if the conditions are ideal, such as the presence of fertile cervical mucus.

Can sperm survive inside a woman's body for weeks?

No, sperm cannot survive inside a woman's body for weeks. The maximum survival time for sperm is 5 days, and they will eventually die and be absorbed by the body if they do not fertilize an egg.

Does the lifespan of sperm vary based on age or health?

Yes, the lifespan of sperm can vary based on age and health. Older sperm may have a shorter lifespan, and factors such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and certain medications can also affect sperm survival.