Discrete vs. Applied Mathematics

In summary, the difference between discrete and applied mathematics at Georgia Tech is that discrete math combines elements of computer science and math, while applied math allows for more freedom in course selection. Double majoring in math and physics is a popular combination at Georgia Tech and the two majors complement each other well, with only an additional 39 hours of required classes for applied math on top of the physics major requirements.
woodne
So, I am interested in majoring in math at Georgia Tech starting this summer, and was wondering what the difference between discrete and applied mathematics is. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Also, what does anyone think about double majoring in math and physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I go to Georgia Tech and know several people in both majors -

Discrete Math is essentially a combination of computer science and math. Discrete Math majors take classes on things like algorithms, combinatorics, graph theory, etc., along with a number of computer science courses. I know a Discrete Math major who just graduated this semester and is now working for the NSA in Maryland. Also, everyone I know who is a discrete math major (not many admittedly, but there aren't very many of them) couldn't decide whether to major in math or computer science and so ended up at the happy middle ground.

Applied Math doesn't have as many required classes, so you have more freedom on what to take. There is a much greater focus on Analysis classes than DM (4 classes compared to 1), but less focus on discrete math (Applied Combinatorics being the only required discrete math class).

I am very much considering adding Applied Math as a second major (I'm a Physics major right now working towards a Math minor), and its probably the most common double major combination at GT (I have no data to support this, just anecdotal evidence). They work together very well, so even though a double major requires at minimum an extra 36 hours, Applied Math only adds another 39 hours of required classes on top of what a Physics major needs to take, so you don't need to stick around for 170 credit hours or anything like that (since 3 of those hours can just be a technical elective in the Physics major).

I have a deep appreciation for the field of mathematics and its applications in various scientific disciplines. In regards to your question about the difference between discrete and applied mathematics, let me provide some clarity.

Discrete mathematics deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. This includes topics such as graph theory, combinatorics, and logic. On the other hand, applied mathematics is focused on using mathematical principles to solve real-world problems and make predictions. This can include topics such as calculus, differential equations, and numerical analysis.

Both discrete and applied mathematics are important and have their own unique applications. Discrete mathematics is essential in the fields of computer science, information theory, and cryptography, while applied mathematics is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

As for your interest in double majoring in math and physics, I believe it is a great idea. These two fields have a strong overlap and complement each other well. Many scientific breakthroughs and advancements have been made by individuals who have a strong understanding of both math and physics.

I would also encourage you to explore the various research opportunities available in both mathematics and physics during your time at Georgia Tech. This will not only enhance your academic experience but also provide valuable hands-on experience in applying mathematical principles to real-world problems.

In conclusion, both discrete and applied mathematics have their own unique contributions to the scientific community, and a double major in math and physics can lead to exciting and rewarding opportunities in the future. I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits at Georgia Tech.

What is the difference between discrete and applied mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is the study of mathematical structures that are countable or finite, such as integers or graphs. Applied mathematics, on the other hand, uses mathematical concepts and methods to solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

Which one is more practical in real life: discrete or applied mathematics?

Both discrete and applied mathematics have practical applications in real life. While discrete mathematics is more focused on theoretical concepts, applied mathematics is directly applied to real-world problems, making it more practical in certain situations.

Is it necessary for a mathematician to be proficient in both discrete and applied mathematics?

It depends on the specific field of mathematics one is working in. Some mathematicians may specialize in only one of these branches, while others may have a strong understanding of both. However, having knowledge in both areas can be beneficial in problem-solving and interdisciplinary research.

What are some examples of problems that can be solved using discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is used to solve problems in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and operations research. Examples of problems that can be solved using discrete mathematics include graph theory for network optimization, combinatorics for analyzing algorithms, and number theory for encryption methods.

How does applied mathematics contribute to advancements in technology?

Applied mathematics plays a crucial role in technological advancements by providing the mathematical foundations for new technologies and improving existing ones. For example, applied mathematics is used in the development of computer algorithms, optimization techniques for engineering designs, and statistical models for data analysis in various industries.