Max Force on Protons at 1000km/s

In summary, the problem involves two protons with a velocity of 1000km/s and asks for the maximum electrical force they will exert on each other. The relevant equations are KE = 1/2mv^2 and F = q*q/(4*pi*e*r^2), but the approach is unclear. A suggestion is made to consider the minimum separation distance and whether the total kinetic energy of the protons was included in the solution.
inferno_gogo

Homework Statement

The problem states that two protons are aimed at each other with a certain velocity v. It asks what is the maximum electrical force they will exert on each other.
The velocity is given at 1000km/s. And that is everything given.

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2
F = q*q/(4*pi*e*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on the approach. I have managed to find the kinetic energy of the protons but that is it. I don't know where to go from here . I think I should use Coulomb's Law, but I need to find the radius for that. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What can you say about the KE of the protons when they reach the minimum separation distance?

Great Help! Thank you very much, problem Solved.

Just on a hunch, I'll ask if the total kinetic energy of the two protons was included in the problem solution.

1. What is the maximum force that can be exerted on a proton traveling at 1000km/s?

The maximum force that can be exerted on a proton traveling at 1000km/s is dependent on the mass and charge of the proton. This force can be calculated using the formula F = qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the proton, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. How is the maximum force on a proton at 1000km/s affected by the magnetic field strength?

The maximum force on a proton at 1000km/s is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength. An increase in the magnetic field strength will result in a greater force being exerted on the proton, while a decrease in the magnetic field strength will result in a weaker force.

3. Can the maximum force on a proton at 1000km/s be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum force on a proton at 1000km/s to be greater than the force of gravity. The force of gravity is dependent on the mass of the objects involved, while the maximum force on a proton is dependent on its charge and velocity as well as the magnetic field strength.

4. What factors can affect the maximum force on a proton at 1000km/s?

The maximum force on a proton at 1000km/s can be affected by the magnetic field strength, the charge and mass of the proton, and its velocity. Other factors such as the presence of other particles or fields can also have an impact on the force exerted on the proton.

5. Is the maximum force on a proton at 1000km/s a constant value?

No, the maximum force on a proton at 1000km/s is not a constant value. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier, such as the magnetic field strength and the velocity of the proton. Additionally, as the proton travels through space, it may encounter different magnetic fields which can also impact the amount of force exerted on it.