Questions about electromagnetic forces.

In summary, the question is whether an electromagnet can repel a permanent magnet with a force of 175psi and move it 3 inches. The answer is yes, as long as there is enough power and the materials can withstand it. The pulsing speed of the electromagnet would be very fast, but not instant.
Rick_Stiles
Hi all,

I want to start off by saying that I am not too good with physics, so while explaining, if terms could be kept simple I would really appreciate it. :)

Here are my questions:

Can an electromagnet repel a permanent magnet with any significant amount of force? My target is around 175psi of force. Can this be done using magnets?

Furthermore, I need to move the permanent magnet 3". Is this possible?

Also, is there a limit to how quickly an electromagnet can be pulsed? I need things to be instant like a light switch.

I hope I asked my questions in a clear manner, but if anything isn't understood, feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks a ton :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds very clear. The only limit to the repulsive force is the size of the magnetics / how much current you can provide to the electromagnet (there are also material issues, like the electromagnet melting... but you prolly won't have to worry about that).
175psi is a lot of force, so it would take a lot of power.. but its doable. As is 3".

It couldn't be "instant," but it would be very fast.. like hundredths of a second or less.

Hello, thank you for your questions about electromagnetic forces. I will try my best to answer them in a simple and clear manner.

1. Can an electromagnet repel a permanent magnet with any significant amount of force?

Yes, an electromagnet can repel a permanent magnet with a significant amount of force. The strength of the repulsion depends on the strength of the electromagnet and the distance between the two magnets. It is possible to generate a force of 175psi with strong enough electromagnets.

2. Can this be done using magnets?

Yes, this can be done using magnets. Electromagnets are essentially coils of wire with an electric current passing through them, which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can interact with the magnetic field of a permanent magnet and create a repulsive force.

3. Can the permanent magnet be moved 3"?

Yes, it is possible to move a permanent magnet 3" using electromagnets. The strength of the electromagnets and the distance between them and the permanent magnet will determine the force and distance of the movement.

4. Is there a limit to how quickly an electromagnet can be pulsed?

Yes, there is a limit to how quickly an electromagnet can be pulsed. This is determined by the material used for the electromagnet's core and the amount of current passing through it. The faster the current is pulsed, the more heat is generated in the core, which can potentially damage the electromagnet.

I hope this answers your questions. If you need any further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your project!

1. What are electromagnetic forces?

Electromagnetic forces are the forces that act between electrically charged particles. They are responsible for the interactions between atoms and molecules, and are essential for the functioning of many technological devices.

2. How do electromagnetic forces work?

Electromagnetic forces are carried by particles called photons. These particles are exchanged between charged particles, causing them to either attract or repel each other depending on their charges.

3. What are some examples of electromagnetic forces?

Some examples of electromagnetic forces include the force that holds electrons in orbit around the nucleus of an atom, the force that causes magnets to attract or repel each other, and the force that allows for the transmission of radio waves.

4. How do electromagnetic forces affect daily life?

Electromagnetic forces play a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives. They are responsible for the functioning of electronic devices such as phones and computers, the generation and transmission of electricity, and even the light that we see.

5. Can electromagnetic forces be shielded?

Yes, electromagnetic forces can be shielded by materials that are able to block the movement of charged particles. This is why we use materials like metal to shield sensitive electronic devices from interference.