Instant Messaging: How Many People Use IM & Which Services?

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary: I think it was ICQ3.5. I've been using it every since then.I don't use instant messaging at all anymore, aside from the (slightly annoying) facebook chat function.In summary, many people use IM, but different services. IM is good for communicating with friends, but can be annoying if used too much.
mcknia07
How many people actually use IM? How many different services of IM do you own and what are they? (ICQ, Yahoo!, AIM, MSN,etc...)

I know of people that have several, myself included, and I was just curious as to what other have and use...

Physics news on Phys.org
I use MSN predominantly...Check out Pidgin, it let's you use all of your accs at once, really easy. Way better than Trillian.

I used ICQ about 10 years ago, when it was cool.

I don't use any of them anymore. I have a cell phone or email.

I like MSN (and use it mainly for this reason) because I can send SMS to my friends.

In high school I used to use MSN a lot, I haven't used IM in about 4 years now though.

I don't use instant messaging at all anymore, aside from the (slightly annoying) facebook chat function.

I used to use MSN, Yahoo, and AIM. However, now I only use AIM (very seldom). I prefer email.

I'm constantly on MSN.

I am always on msn with offline status. I used for my web-programming work too.

I'm on AOL instant messenger sometimes, but I always stay invisible and have a very big "blocked" list. This way only people I want to talk to message me :)

Beeza said:
I'm on AOL instant messenger sometimes, but I always stay invisible and have a very big "blocked" list. This way only people I want to talk to message me :)

I thought that's not normal.

I used to use Yahoo and MSN, but they got really difficult to deal with...especially Yahoo seemed to start using more bandwidth for ads than for chat and there would be freeze-ups and lags that got frustrating. I use Skype now, but only use it to chat with my boyfriend so we can use video chat and actually see each other while we talk. We don't actually use the IM part...I'd rather talk and see his face than type. It makes it a bit easier to live so far apart.

And, like Beeza, I usually keep myself invisible while on chat, because I HATE being interrupted by obnoxious pests who think that just because they see someone online, they should randomly try to chat with them.

Moonbear said:
We don't actually use the IM part...I'd rather talk and see his face than type. It makes it a bit easier to live so far apart.
Very true. The last place I lived was college accomodation so the webcam part of skype was blocked by the firewall.. that was rather annoying!

And, like Beeza, I usually keep myself invisible while on chat, because I HATE being interrupted by obnoxious pests who think that just because they see someone online, they should randomly try to chat with them.
Surely they shouldn't be on your friends list, anyway?

cristo said:
I don't use instant messaging at all anymore, aside from the (slightly annoying) facebook chat function.

I'm not sure I like the Facebook chat thing, it makes your screen/tabs blink alot. I mainly use my MSN now, no one on that is annoying :biggrin:

I used to use AIM a lot. Now I don't use anything, just text messaging/e-mail/or phone.

Google mail has a nifty built-in chat function that's pretty handy. I use that with one person and Skype with my best friend so we can make faces at each other by webcam. Now that beats the heck out of phone calls.

cristo said:
Surely they shouldn't be on your friends list, anyway?

Nobody on my friends list. Skype makes it easy to prevent anyone from trying to start a conversation if they aren't already on your friends list, but Yahoo used to be really a pain. You could block people afterward, but it didn't seem to block them from trying to make initial contact. Plus, the last upgrade of it also made it impossible to hide the email notifications (the only email my Yahoo account gets is spam since I only used it to chat). Fortunately, I found Skype and got to delete Yahoo.

When I used ICQ I felt obligated to say something to anyone on my list if they were online. Plus I'd throw a few messages to anyone who wasn't online in case they were just hiding because I'm sure they wouldn't be hiding from me.

I just get used to sing in yahoo when I come on but I really don't feel like chatting anymore.I'm getting old...:tongue:

Oh Lisa! You can be like some of the young chaps and start chatting again, it will make you feel so young again :biggrin: You have to keep up on the technology of the new world :smile:

Have I mentioned that I *HATE* instant messaging and refuse to use it?

I was one of the first people to get on ICQ because a guy that was working with the developers kept bugging the group at the Cornell reflector to test it. It was a novelty at first, but it soon became a nuisance.

when you spend all day watching the general discussion page hitting refresh every few seconds too see if anyone has posted anything it's pretty much the same thing

I used to use gaim like 10 years ago. Now the only IMing I do is on steam (games) or sometimes okcupid.

1. How many people use instant messaging?

According to a report by Statista, as of 2021, there are approximately 3.6 billion users of instant messaging worldwide.

2. Which instant messaging services are the most popular?

The most popular instant messaging services include WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, QQ, and Telegram, with WhatsApp being the most used with over 2 billion active users.

3. Is instant messaging still popular despite the rise of social media?

Yes, instant messaging is still widely used and has even grown in popularity due to its convenience and real-time communication capabilities.

4. What age group uses instant messaging the most?

According to a survey by Pew Research Center, 73% of 18-29 year olds use instant messaging, making them the age group that uses it the most.

5. Can businesses use instant messaging for communication?

Yes, many businesses use instant messaging as a form of communication both internally and externally with clients or customers. It allows for quick communication and can improve efficiency in the workplace.