DC-DC Buck-Boost converter using 555 Timer?

In summary: I don't think it's worth doing from 555s (except, maybe to challenge yourself). You would probably end up with fairly tight current / voltage tolerances, and spend more on parts and tuning than you would for the module itself!
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm working on a project that requires an isolated switching supply that will output 15V from a 9-18V input at up to 2W. I have found the perfect DC-DC converter module for the job from MicroPower Direct but I'm trying to see if it would be possible to build something with similar functionality using a simple 555 timer (or several of them). My understanding is that a buck-boost topology would probably work to get the wide volage input range tha I'm looking for and I'm hoping that I can leverage the 555 timer to my advantage (since I have a whole drawer full of them) to test out my prototype circuit before buying the 'nice' tidy-box module.

Does anyone know of any nifty circuits using 555 timers that can do a buck-boost setup? If not, does anyone know of some bare-bones, simple buck-boost controller ICs out there that don't have lots of external guts hanging out or come in a package that I'd have to view with an electron microscope to solder? I'm looking for the simplest solution just to see if it would be more cost-effective than buying the modules (which cost about $12-15 depending on where you get them from).

Thanks,
Jasson O

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think it's worth doing from 555s (except, maybe to challenge yourself). You would probably end up with fairly tight current / voltage tolerances, and spend more on parts and tuning than you would for the module itself!

Maxim makes a number of step-up (or step-down) ICs... Look for the 8-pin PDIP (Plastic DIP) or 8-pin CDIP (Ceramic DIP) packages. Bonus: free samples. Still need a few (~half dozen) external components, however:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/

Intersil makes step-up/down converters (but AFAIK, you can't configure one of these so it does both--you'll need two if you expect this situation to occur), also available in DIP packages. They're kinda pricey, however.

TI also makes all of the above. With complete reference designs and calculation charts (reduces the amount of leg-work you need to do). Pretty cheap as well, and with no need for massive inductors.

I'd recommend going to the Digikey website, searching for regulator, choosing DC-DC converters, and then filtering by 8-DIP, and finally company.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all..i need help in designing the buck boost fundamental circuit for solar power.i'm just don't know how to exactly determine the value for capacitor and inductor..here are the parameter that i have
vin> 2-18v
vout> 12v
idc> 3.15A
f> 20kHz

1. What is a DC-DC Buck-Boost converter?

A DC-DC Buck-Boost converter is an electronic device that converts a DC input voltage to a different output voltage level. It can both step up (boost) or step down (buck) the input voltage, making it a versatile and efficient power converter.

2. What is a 555 Timer and how is it used in a DC-DC Buck-Boost converter?

A 555 Timer is an integrated circuit that can generate various types of waveforms and is commonly used as a timer or oscillator in electronic circuits. In a DC-DC Buck-Boost converter, the 555 Timer is used as a pulse width modulator (PWM) to control the switching of the converter's transistors and regulate the output voltage.

3. How does a DC-DC Buck-Boost converter using 555 Timer work?

The 555 Timer generates a PWM signal, which controls the switching of the transistors in the converter. When the PWM signal is high, the output voltage is boosted, and when it is low, the output voltage is bucked. The duty cycle of the PWM signal determines the output voltage level. A feedback loop is used to regulate the duty cycle and maintain a constant output voltage.

4. What are the advantages of using a DC-DC Buck-Boost converter using 555 Timer?

One of the main advantages of using this type of converter is its high efficiency. It can achieve efficiencies of up to 95% compared to other converter topologies. Additionally, the 555 Timer is a low-cost and widely available IC, making the converter relatively inexpensive to build.

5. What are the applications of a DC-DC Buck-Boost converter using 555 Timer?

This type of converter is commonly used in portable electronic devices, such as laptops, smartphones, and tablets, to efficiently regulate the voltage from the battery. It is also used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels, to convert and regulate the DC voltage from the panels to the desired output level.