Finding kinetic energy retained by an object after an elastic head-on collision

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an elastic head-on collision between two objects. The objects have different masses and initial velocities, and the question asks what percentage of the original kinetic energy is retained by the smaller object after the collision. The solution involves using conservation of energy and conservation of linear momentum to calculate the final velocities of both objects and their respective kinetic energies. The final kinetic energies can then be compared to the initial system energy to determine the percentage of kinetic energy retained by the smaller object.
JuniorJumper
Hi, I am new to the forums & I have a question about the following problem:

A 0.10 kg object moving initially with a velocity of 0.20 m/s makes an elastic head-on collision with a 0.15 kg object initially at rest. What percentage of the original kinetic energy is retained by the 0.10 kg object?

m1=0.10 kg
vi1=0.20 m/s
v1f=-0.0025 m/s

m2=0.15 kg
vi2=0.00 m/s
v2f=0.198 m/s

I calculated the final velocities of both objects after the collision, but can not decide how to find the kinetic energy retained by m1. I tried finding the kinetic energy lost by m1 (0.002) but then I didnt know where to go from there. I know this must be a simple problem, but I am just not seeing it? Thanks for any guidance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You must use conservation of energy AND conservation of linear momemtum. Once you have calculated the final velocities correctly (your's appear to be incorrect :cry:) then you can calculate their respective kinetic energies (1/2*mv^2). You can then compare each final kinetic energy to the initial system energy (K1/Kinitial and K2/Kinitial) to obtain your percentages (note that they should add to 100%). Also, since energy is conserved the sum of the final kinetic energies will equal the initial kinetic energy (of the incoming object). Hope this helps! Good luck!

I would first like to clarify that the term "elastic head-on collision" refers to a type of collision where both objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. This is in contrast to an inelastic collision where some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

Now, to find the kinetic energy retained by the 0.10 kg object, we can use the formula for kinetic energy: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

In this case, the initial kinetic energy of the 0.10 kg object is KE1 = 1/2 * 0.10 kg * (0.20 m/s)^2 = 0.002 J.

After the collision, the final velocity of the 0.10 kg object is v1f = -0.0025 m/s. Plugging this value into the kinetic energy formula, we get KE1f = 1/2 * 0.10 kg * (-0.0025 m/s)^2 = 0.00000125 J.

Therefore, the kinetic energy retained by the 0.10 kg object is the difference between its initial and final kinetic energies: KE retained = KE1 - KE1f = 0.002 J - 0.00000125 J = 0.00199875 J.

To find the percentage of the original kinetic energy retained, we can use the formula: % retained = (KE retained / KE1) * 100%.

Substituting the values, we get % retained = (0.00199875 J / 0.002 J) * 100% = 99.9375%.

In conclusion, after the elastic head-on collision, the 0.10 kg object retains 99.9375% of its original kinetic energy. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you.

1. What is kinetic energy retained by an object after an elastic head-on collision?

Kinetic energy retained by an object after an elastic head-on collision refers to the amount of energy that the object has after the collision compared to its initial kinetic energy before the collision. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant.

2. How is kinetic energy retained calculated?

Kinetic energy retained can be calculated using the formula: KEretained = 0.5 * m * (vfinal)^2, where m is the mass of the object and vfinal is the final velocity of the object after the collision.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy retained after a collision?

The amount of kinetic energy retained after a collision can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision, the angle and direction of the collision, and the type of materials and their elasticity.

4. How does a perfectly elastic collision affect the amount of kinetic energy retained?

In a perfectly elastic collision, all of the kinetic energy is retained by the objects involved. This means that the final kinetic energy after the collision is equal to the initial kinetic energy before the collision. This is due to the fact that there is no loss of energy due to deformation or friction.

5. Can the kinetic energy retained be greater than the initial kinetic energy?

No, the kinetic energy retained after an elastic collision cannot be greater than the initial kinetic energy. In fact, in an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system must remain constant. This means that the sum of the final kinetic energies of the objects after the collision must equal the initial kinetic energy before the collision.