Help PWM DC Chopper (DC-DC Converter)

In summary, the conversation discusses a student needing help with an assignment involving the IC chip UC3524 and its output. The IC chip's schematic and datasheet are provided, and the conversation touches on the importance of being able to parse a datasheet. The conversation also discusses the use of a MOSFET chopper switch and its applications. The output side of the IC chip is also discussed, with mention of connecting it to a transistor for biasing. The conversation ends with the student expressing gratitude and mentioning the need for practical experimentation.
kadzuki2
Hi guys, i need help on my assignment. The problem i have is reading the output of this IC chip (UC3524). Apparently you can't just connect an oscilloscope to the output and get a reading. My teacher said something about using transistor?

Here is the IC chip's schematic http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/29328/TI/UC3524.html"

All i know is that you have to connect them in parallel. Pin 12 with pin 13 and pin 11 with pin 14.

Another thing what is a MOSFET Chopper Switch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
kadzuki2 said:
Hi guys, i need help on my assignment. The problem i have is reading the output of this IC chip (UC3524). Apparently you can't just connect an oscilloscope to the output and get a reading. My teacher said something about using transistor?

Here is the IC chip's schematic http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/29328/TI/UC3524.html"

All i know is that you have to connect them in parallel. Pin 12 with pin 13 and pin 11 with pin 14.

Another thing what is a MOSFET Chopper Switch?

Shouldn't this be in the homework help section? Ah well...

First off, try to link to the manufacturer's website, not these second-source / last resort datasheet vendors:
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uc3524.pdf

The ability to parse a datasheet is one of the most important skills an EE acquires. The Features section tells you what the IC does, the Description gives you more details, and the Principles of Operation tells you how it does it. The Reference Circuits section (rolled into the Application Information tells you how to hook up the IC so that it does various things.

I'm assuming that your teacher is asking you to hook the circuit up in the open loop test configuration (Fig. 8 note that there's a typo in the pin numbering) so based on the above information, what should you see at the output?

As to the other question of what a MOSFET chopper does... I'll break with the homework template and say that all it does is chops up a DC input into a square wave (of some desired frequency and pulse-width). This is used for analog-like power control (e.g. controlling motor speed beyond on-off, and without having to do analog voltage output), as the basis of switching regulators (buck, boost, inverting, etc.) In short, it can be used for a lot of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
MATLABdude said:
As to the other question of what a MOSFET chopper does... I'll break with the homework template and say that all it does is chops up a DC input into a square wave (of some desired frequency and pulse-width). This is used for analog-like power control (e.g. controlling motor speed beyond on-off, and without having to do analog voltage output), as the basis of switching regulators (buck, boost, inverting, etc.) In short, it can be used for a lot of things.

Thanks! I get it now. (For the MOSFET part)

I still don't understand the output side. In Fig. 8 the output seems to be different from each other, the Pins 12,13 and Pins 11,14. They are connected differently. I do see that they are connected in parallel. But if i recalled my teacher said something about connecting up to a transistor. :confused:

Did he mean biasing?

kadzuki2 said:
Thanks! I get it now. (For the MOSFET part)

I still don't understand the output side. In Fig. 8 the output seems to be different from each other, the Pins 12,13 and Pins 11,14. They are connected differently. I do see that they are connected in parallel. But if i recalled my teacher said something about connecting up to a transistor. :confused:

Did he mean biasing?

No, they just don't have them connected together. Note that the emitters (11 and 14) are just grounded (so the outputs are relative to ground) Regardless, it really depends on what configuration you've got your UC3524 in (and presumably, that it's wired up properly). The output stage is already a transistor (see the Block Diagram), and you'd probably be able to measure a potential difference between the collector and emitter, whether with an oscilloscope or multimeter.

Actually, I just noticed that these are open collector... You'll note in diagram 8 that they have pull up resistors (2k) to bias the built-in BJT. That's probably what they meant.

That's about all I have, so good luck!

OK thanks! I wouldn't know until i tried it practically

Since this is more project-oriented, I'll let the thread stay here for now. Good help by MATLAB.

What is a PWM DC chopper?

A PWM DC chopper is a type of DC-DC converter that uses pulse width modulation (PWM) to control the output voltage. It is used to convert a fixed DC input voltage to a variable DC output voltage.

How does a PWM DC chopper work?

A PWM DC chopper works by rapidly switching the input voltage on and off at a high frequency. The width of the on and off pulses is controlled by a feedback circuit, which adjusts the output voltage to the desired level. This allows for precise control of the output voltage.

What are the advantages of using a PWM DC chopper?

There are several advantages to using a PWM DC chopper. It allows for efficient conversion of DC voltages, as well as precise control of the output voltage. It can also be used for bi-directional power flow and can handle high power levels.

What are the main applications of a PWM DC chopper?

PWM DC choppers are commonly used in various industrial and consumer electronics applications. They are particularly useful in power supplies, motor control systems, and renewable energy systems such as solar panels and wind turbines.

What factors should be considered when selecting a PWM DC chopper?

When selecting a PWM DC chopper, some important factors to consider include input and output voltage requirements, power rating, switching frequency, efficiency, and cost. It is also important to ensure that the chopper is compatible with the load it will be powering.